Winter clothing

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I always have a problem finding a suitable mid-layer for bike riding in really cold weather. I use a Helly Hansen LIFA base layer and a Montane windproof breathable shell top layer along with bib shorts and warm fleece backed tights. This is fine for cold days but when the temperature really drops I need extra warmth for my body. Anyone know of a suitable mid-layer, the online bike shops don't seem to sell anything like it.

I usually go for a lightweight L/S fleece t-shirt as a mid-layer and a Buffalo windshirt on top. You could always swap the the windproof for a Buffalo special six or an Arktis shell as they are both pretty warm with good wicking properties.

I usually just pop on a LS baselayer over a SS base. Seems ok to me. I find fleece just gets too warm too easily. Seemed OK in the snow last year under an event jacket :)

..but my feet, however, were not. Socks off outside to warm my feet up. not good. Sooo..thread hijack!
Any ideas on winter shoes? Need SPD and not look like hiking boots.
Its my treat for this year :D

coolmax socks, slacken your shoe off slightly to allow feet to move around slightly & some pucka overshoes. did the black mtns last year when my camelbak froze up (no BS) but my feet were still warm :)

Gotta say I am a skinny bugger with crap circulation... the fleece layer might be too warm. On really cold days I do put heated insoles in the shoes and have toasty feet all the way round.

I use goretex socks - army surplus off ebay for £7. A lot of the reason in winter your feet are cold can be because they are wet - this keeps this to a minimum. Then you need to ensure you have warm breathable inner socks and you're toasty :D

I've tried many different waterproof socks, the problem is they hold in water :? . trails here in winter are 3in deep in surface water, sprayed up water then runs down your leg & into the sock, feet get hold. after years of experimenting I stick with overshoes, they keep the worse of the water off, but they also allow water to escape. works for me :)
porell drys were bloody awful, so thick they really restricted movement.

I also wear waterproof leggings so any spray drips down the outside of the goretex socks - seems to do the trick. Only problem then is sweat, but it's not as bad as cold water!

My last few pairs of porelles have shrunk. :evil:
Scant, which overshoes do you recommend? Are overshoes ok offroad?

edited cos the alcohols kicked in and i forgot my 2nd question for scant

Back