Mavic X221 Rims

good rims, have had a set for 8 years and only just sold them, cant go wrong with them really, think the only problem with them was the side walls used to curve in hard after a while, still got a nos one in my shed someware.

Can't go wrong with Mavic. Had loads over the years never a problem. B**dy good rim/kit

tintin40":2s99eir1 said:
Can't go wrong with Mavic. Had loads over the years never a problem. B**dy good rim/kit

I've had no complaints with the 231, 217, 517 and 717 i've owned. Just checking if there was a specific problem with these as, like you say, Mavic are generally good so was suprised with some of the comments. They may simply have not been very well built wheels rather than any fault of the rim.

Launched around 2000 i remember....?

The only thing i would say, is check cracking round the eyelets and for eyelets pulling out. The 221 are single eyelet and like 217s have a habit of pulling through if built too tight or gorilla straightened!.....you know...." i will just wind this one spoke up....that will straighten it......now a quest for fire" kinda thing.

They got bad reviews as people were expecting them to be down hill ready.....they are not, they are xc rims....

I use the 700c version on my road tourer....no issues.

Launched around 2000 i remember....?

The only thing i would say, is check cracking round the eyelets and for eyelets pulling out. The 221 are single eyelet and like 217s have a habit of pulling through if built too tight or gorilla straightened!.....you know...." i will just wind this one spoke up....that will straighten it......now a quest for fire" kinda thing.

They got bad reviews as people were expecting them to be down hill ready.....they are not, they are xc rims....

I use the 700c version on my road tourer....no issues.
I found a pair of x221s for € 20 .. I keep them as a reserve of the 221s for my kona. I haven't weighed the 221 but the x221s can be heavier? The only visual difference is that they are painted black .. and the side wall with the skate fades over the years. What does the "x" mean? harder ? higher ?

Back