Surprise Baiku (pic heavy)

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ed Edwards, check. Cx bike, check. Hills, check. Usual loop with added hill pain, he'll like that. Passes me half way up (seated, high geared) the biggest hill in the village saying 'i thought you said it was steep'. Edwards + Hills = Sobering lesson in one's humble real world ability. :oops: Mistake. Asphalt turns into chalk. Chalk into Woodland. Woodland into open fields.

Apparently falls backwards into a concealed badger's hole covered in a rusty grate and surrounded by 6ft nettles. After pulling myself together from fits of laughter, (I'm not a team player I'm afraid) Help Gangly Edwards out by trying to break his ankle to free him. Appears to like the nettle sting and continues to electrocution moment.

Electric fence at groin height makes for the quote of all quotes from any bike ride when Edwards leans too close....

"I've electrocuted my Warrior".

"The General is scorched"

Spin home for pasta and chortles. Best surprise ride of my life.

:cool:

Attachments

• Big Man.jpg
    Big Man.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,501
  • Cycling with POBB.jpg
    Cycling with POBB.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,499
  • DownsWay1.jpg
    DownsWay1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,498
  • Fab Indy.jpg
    Fab Indy.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,497
:D

Attachments

• Edwards Shaped Nettle Landing Spot.jpg
    Edwards Shaped Nettle Landing Spot.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,496
  • Gated.jpg
    Gated.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Get Used to This View.jpg
    Get Used to This View.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,494
  • Grinding it out.jpg
    Grinding it out.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,493

Attachments

• Hills.jpg
    Hills.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,491
  • Hole of Doom.jpg
    Hole of Doom.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,490
  • Jelly Baby of Doom.jpg
    Jelly Baby of Doom.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,489
  • MadSkills.jpg
    MadSkills.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,487

Attachments

• One Fits Under the Gate.jpg
    One Fits Under the Gate.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,486
  • Spot the Gate.jpg
    Spot the Gate.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,485
  • Tyres.jpg
    Tyres.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,483
  • Wounds 3.jpg
    Wounds 3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,482
Pre ride faffing. Check. Gears not working properly. Check. 'Taking a gun to a knife fight" tyre choice. Check.

Farmer advises keeping powder dry and then dances on the pedals like Brendan Cole. Chastened I drive forward into a fierce headwind, overlooking that I have no idea of where we are going. Like a tubby Boardman, Gus catches me after a 2 mile pursuit and we turn back.
Chalk dust coats the bike like we are on strada bianchi. Stop some tourists and ask them to take a photo. See them again when we exit bushes together after a bathroom, adjusting our shorts.Laurent Garnier has nothing on us.

On on. More chalk, some sun dappled singletrack, lots of jabber. Spreading the cheek on a footpath I momentarily lose focus. Badger set incident follows. Lucky that there are 6 foot high nettles to break my fall and cushion my body from the rusty metal grate. Situation not helped by Gus offering to alleviate the nettle rash via "the ancient remedy of urine" (I'm sure Heathy used a similar technique to wake me at Mayhem in 2009). Fortunately thoughts of stinging recede as I have an unfortunate interface with an electric fence. Not sure how to explain singed genitalia to my wife following a night out in Brighton. Return home. Gus sprinkles parrot seed on his pasta provencale. Which somehow seems an appropriate end to the day.

Back