Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:32 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:51 pm 
South West Deputy AEC
South West Deputy AEC

Hi.

What do you know about Dave Hinde as a frame builder?

He is quite well known as a wheel builder and as a mail order seller (some say not a very good one)!

Please share!!! :D

Attachments:
small Dave Hinde (4).jpg
small Dave Hinde (4).jpg [ 51.17 KiB | Viewed 3675 times ]
small Dave Hinde (7).jpg
small Dave Hinde (7).jpg [ 36.05 KiB | Viewed 3675 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Three (maybe four) sets of Dave Hinde wheels in the family, one road frame and one respray with graphics under the laquer etc - no problems with any 8)

The stove enameled finishes are getting a little brittle with age and crazing a little, but I guess that's to be expected after 20 years ... :lol:

I was surprised when I read up on his mail order, allways gone in the shop and never had any probs :D

WD :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:07 pm 
Retro Guru

they are in my local town.

honestly, i don't use them as much as another shop in the next town but they've never done me wrong AND the guy i use as my first call is pretty good mates with them and sends work to them and vice-versa.

from what i understand, the problem they have with their online reputation stems from a couple of things. they sell a hell of a lot of stuff. high volume going out will = a higher number of unhappy users regardless of how low the % of bad transactions is. i do know that someone screamed and shouted about bad service with them over a pair of custom built wheels after they tried to return them and were told to sod off as custom bits are exempt from normal distance selling regs, why should they foot the bill for (now) second hand rims, hubs, spokes etc. and loose the time spent building them because the buyer changed his mind!

I've had some bits and bobs from them over the years - a couple of ebay bargains and bits over the counter, they also helped me out with daft things like an odd front mech shim & headset topcap for a couple of quid each time as i knew what i needed and they were happy to raid their spares box for me. I also had them fit & setup a rear mech & bleed a disc a couple of years back while i was away. I came back and the work was spot on - I'd happily send stuff to them in the future to be worked on.

as for the frames, i know they have a very good reputation for the road stuff, some of the mid 90's mtb frames were really nice to ride too. a mate of mine had a dhr dragon with full lx and it was very nimble & quick. the modern stuff looks pretty nice too - if i ever get the itch for a modern bike i will probably build something off a frame of theirs.

as a cheeky pitch - i've got a spare DHR branded bar & stem if you wanted matching ones!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:09 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

I once saw the feedback they left for people on ebay :shock: :shock: not that that is relevant to the frame though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

My Marin wheels : 231 / XT, radial / 2x :

Mums orange : respray, 231 / Black DX, radial / 2x :

WD :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 pm 
South West Deputy AEC
South West Deputy AEC

Thanks WDP, Jax and Mr K!

Keep it coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 am 
Retro Guru

Pretty good rep for wheels, some people get on well with them, callers at shop mostly. Unfortunately, they seemed to employ an actual grade A lunatic in the mail order /ebay side, who was notorious for leaving some of the most vile, abusive feedback ever seen on ebay.........dunno if he's still there tho', I pretty much decided not to put my money their way after seeing some of the chat on other cycling forums. Googling" Dave Hinde trading standards" can be quite informative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:33 am 
Retro Guru

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=n ... y&ref=home :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:43 am 
South West Deputy AEC
South West Deputy AEC

marky2484 wrote:
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=number1bikebits&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home :lol: :lol:

:lol: That's funny! Just read some of his feedback left for others as well.

So I wonder if that nutter is still working there then, it's been nearly 3 years since this Ebay account was closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:46 am 
Retro Guru

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI ... gative_365

They changed ebay ID in, looks like, 2008. To be fair, looks like things MAY have got a bit better. Stll using the old " attempted delivery 4 times" spiel though.............. :D :D