square taper bb

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
Chain Reaction no longer stock the UN73 XT bb in 68-110 and tell me they have no plans to import them owing to insufficient demand. They are still made by Shimano (now called UN74) and stocked by Cambriabike, but I've never imported anything from the US before, so I wondered whether anybody knew of another source of supply?

[CR do stock LX, but my bikes are very fussy]

I think a lot of LBS's will have stock as they are still a staple. As good as they are in many ways, CRC may well not be the bible when it comes to stock at distributor level, especially as a lot of their stuff comes in bypassing the UK distributors as after market stock.

So try Madison and see what they say as they still hold stock of stuff like XTR m952 chainrings etc and they haven't been current for 4yrs.

Buying from Cambria won't be that bad either. You will pay duty though, so won't be as cheap as it looks. But is do-able as I'm sure a lot of us on here have at some point or another. I bought up a load of old Ringle stuff from them a few years back and it all arrived ok.

Hope this is of some help?

:D

you intersted in a NOS cook bros cro-mo, 110mm?? PM me if you want to talk further.
cheers,
nick, ;)

you intersted in a NOS cook bros cro-mo, 110mm?? PM me if you want to talk further.
cheers,
nick, ;)

BB

Buy a Hope or Royce etc Ti, then just keep replacing the bearings, way lighter and more reliable. I picked up two Hopes recently for £18 and £25 posted. New bearings £2.29 a pair! Incidently I never rounded a set of Middleburn RS cranks or wore out a set of bearings in a Hope BB ,so much for progress with the new style BB's/two piece crank sets, easy as they are to fit/service, but the bearings last about 5 minutes!

Russell":1yap5oqv said:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sessionID/QBN/product-Shimano-Shimano-UN72-73-73mm-shell-Sealed-Cartridge-Square-Taper-Bottom-Bracket-30.htm

Don't know if they're in stock, but they're still listed.

Pop a post up here when you've asked to let us know :)

R.

Thanks Russell, but they're just advertising 73s and all my bikes take 68-110. CRC still has some 73s as well if anybody wants to stock up, and it doesn't seem as though they're planning to restock, so that might not be a bad idea.

Seems like Royce/Hope would be a good way to go, if only I was as clever as Wold Ranger and knew where to find one at such a nice price. I'm surprised CRC don't see enough demand to bother importing them, surely there's lots of retro bikes out there and people don't want to fit modern cranks to them, they'd look stupid!

i thought the difference between a 68 and a 73 was the loose cup. swap the loose cup from your old BB et voila?

What's wrong with the 113 from Germany?! :?

The difference from 110 - 113 will make no noticeable difference whatsoever on a geared bike.

Back