90's Specialized sizing

amandar

Retro Newbie
Did specialized used to measure from center to top or center to center?

And if anyone can point me towards a 96 or 97 geometry chart for Rockhoppers and Stumpjumpers that would be great. I can't quite make out the numbers on the catalogs posted in the gallery here.

Thanks!

I think they measured them centre to centre. Just measured a 96 Stumpjumper frame that's in front of me and it's 17" C-C and 18" and a bit C-T, unless my measuring is way out. It's supposed to be a 17".

That's what I thought too.
There's a guy claiming to have a 15.5" stumpy about an hour's drive from me, but he's measuring center to top, which would make the bike a 13.5 and way too small for me.
I don't want to drive out there and be dissappointed.

Could be, although there's definitely not 2" of difference between the C-C and C-T measurements on my frame.

sizing

Specialized always measure centre to top.
I have a lot of the 80's and 90's catalogues and tech manuals if there is a specific model you want measurements of as they change slightly, model by model over the years.
Just let me know, glad to help.
Jamie

Thank you so much! You guys have such a great forum here. Post a question on one of the yank forums and you just get a bunch of personal attacks and mindless drivel.

For those of you familiar with older Specialized geometry, would a 15.5 be the size to get? I'm 5'6" ish with a long inseam and a short torso . I ride a road bike with a 53.5 cm top tube and 90mm stem.

Re: sizing

Jamiedyer":1vqvduxz said:
Specialized always measure centre to top.
I have a lot of the 80's and 90's catalogues and tech manuals if there is a specific model you want measurements of as they change slightly, model by model over the years.
Just let me know, glad to help.
Jamie

Measurements for a 15.5 1998 Stumpjumper M2 would be great! Thanks!

Stumpjumper M2

Hello
Which M2 depends on year, early one or older one.
I would think 15.5 might be a bit on the small side and that a 17 might suite a bit better. I am 5''4' with @30' inseam and ride a 15.5 on my M2 and on a M4.
The angles on the older steel Stumpies make a significant difference as my 88 is an 18inch and my 94 is a 16 inch and then 15.5 after that. I can ride a 17 on the later steel ones but its a tiny bit stretched. This is not a problem on the A1 or metal matrix ones. The later M2XX version is the best as it has the more modern sizing and extra gussetting. M2XX is probably after 97 for Stumpies as it was for 96 on S Works and Stumpies usually get the trickle down 2 years or so later.

The measurements for a late model (1999) M2 Stumpjumper in 15.5inch are:
top tube:524mm, standover:28.8'' stem length:105mm
steerer tube length:188mm seat tube:15.5'' centre to top
1996:
top tube:505.6mm, standover:28.2'' stem length:120mm
steerer tube length:n/a seat tube:15.5'' centre to top

for a 17inch
top tube:524mm, standover:29.9'' stem length:120mm
steerer tube length:203mm seat tube:17'' centre to top
Cranks also go from 170 to 175 for 17"
1996:
top tube:550.5mm, standover:761.4mm stem length:135mm
steerer tube length:n/a seat tube:15.5'' centre to top

Just noticed there is a link to the 96 tech manual above so this will all be in there, if there is a specific year or colour you need info for just drop me a line.
Cheers
Jamie

Back