Stripping paint… off paint??? plus name that RM!

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Got myself another project and was wondering if there's an easy way to strip paint that has been sprayed over the original paint? Or if it's even do-able??? :roll:

The front triangle has been resprayed with black paint. Prob from a rattle can. It was ever sprayed over some of the original decals, which I highly doubt I'll recover. :roll:

I want to get back to the original paint to see it's condition and perhaps retain that.

[edit] Okay, added some pics to the thread now! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,967
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,967
  • IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,967
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,967
there's no serial number :? as you can see the front triangle was originally yellow, and of course it's an RM. :roll: ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,966
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,966
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,966
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,966
oh, and does anyone have any info or know about a short crown Syncros fork? It's a third shorter than any of the other forks I have! :shock:

this came off another RM bike, not the frame above. it's OE off a 1991.

Attachments

• IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,960
If that were mine i'd try some cellulose thinners rubbed on the black. It'll probably come off if its a poor job. Failing that either paint stripper ( assuming its powder coat underneath??)

Less risky would be a cutting compound (like an abrasive polish if you will) or 1500 wet and dry.

cutting compound??? as in a sharp utility knife? :LOL: i tried using that to scrap away the top layer of black. seems to do okay but it would take a lot of work to take it all off. :p

Looking at the '93 where I think you are reading from PM's. It doesn't actually say the Altitude are fillet brazed, just that the they are world famous for it.
There are quite a few on here who had the '93 (Al, gump ??) Altitude.
But my answer is I don;'t know, i've not seen one. (of either)

I still think
T'bolt, Ti-Bolt and Blizzard are the only frames that used this 'radical' style
Colouring is a Team bike makeover
Year is (well I'll leave this you know my guess).

Many others here will know these much better and probably ridden them. me, I'm guesstimating :?

The german forum might know ?

Loverly bike though, hope you can save the bike some of the original decals/paint. Though the chap at dekerf's place should be able to respray it, apparently he did mine originally :)

I'd try some thinners or paint stripper, diluted and rub on and off pretty quickly. I hope you manage to achieve removing the rattle can and revealing the original glory underneath!

What they all said. Rattle can paint is not going to be anywhere near as tough as the original paint so a cutting compound and a large tube of elbow grease or a fine wet and dry or if you're feeling brave then some paint stripper quickly rubbed off before it damages the original finish.

Back