its that time of year again, i am looking at bikes for kids

The GT looks good.

As for the 12 year old, they must be ready for a 26"er, time for their first retro bike maybe? Lots of small frames out there. Forget the lbs, do some shopping on here and the 'bay, and build something up!

Tim

computerbitz":3hjwf6p9 said:
if i suggested that to my wife she would string me up retro in her eyes = 2nd hand

Wives sometimes have to be told they are wrong. I recently sold to a friend the Orange C16R that my son rode from age 9 until 14. It was a 1996 size 15, but with a DH stem and the seat down it fitted him fine when he was 9, let alone 12, and now another 9-year-old has it. It has a Bomber Z2 Lite, an STX-RC groupset and Merlin wheels, all of which I was able to pick up second-hand at the time, and it weighs many pounds less than any 'child's bike'.

The reason why your wife is wrong (if you don't mind my saying so) is that the bike was so much better and higher quality than a new bike at the same price that it was comical. Its new owner wasn't quite sure but his mother took him for a lap at Bewl Water, and while they were waiting for his mates to catch up at the top of the hills, he decided he loved it.

Another vote for the small retro build here. A 14-16" quality steel frame, some decent wheels and whatever finishing kit you can lay hands on won't cost the earth and will be better than any kids bike I've seen (the kids Konas/Treks etc couldn't exactly be called scaled down versions of their adult bikes methinks).

Grifter = class

....the Commando was a great bike too, apart from the tyres (i used to go through them like nobody's business), think this was down to my 'broadies' on the kerbs..! ;)

Longy

Back