Someone up there likes me...

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
Here's a story for y'all -

So I responded to a craigslist ad for a Mountain Goat WTR FS. Rumpfy and Jeff @ FirstFlight know this bike, as the seller contacted both about its value. Not really my cup of tea so I decided to check it out over lunchbreak.

DSCN1061.jpg

Pretty decent shape, some decals rubbed a bit, but the elastomers move (which is good). I wont lie, I was more concerned with the parts. Grafton cranks and brakes, M900, Nuke Proof, etc.

So we got to talking when I saw a skinwall porc in his garage, and I mentioned I had been looking for one for long time. "Take it!" he says. I was over the moon. But the fun had just begun.

We went into the basement.

DSCN1062.jpg

DSCN1063.jpg

DSCN1058.jpg

DSCN1060.jpg

DSCN1059.jpg

DSCN1057.jpg

DSCN1056.jpg

DSCN1055.jpg

Since its in my size, I decided to give the Goat a home. Seeing how happy I was, he said I could have the rest.

Thats right y'all. Have.

This really is an eyedropper in the ocean of stuff this guy has. I literally saw five unbuilt Yeti ASRs, two team Dos XX Barracudas, and every Ringle color of the rainbow, all NOS. Most he got from Herbold's garage sales. Now he's "not into the retro stuff anymore."

Some may not think so, but the Homegrown is the gem of the bunch. It was one of Ruthie Matthes' team bikes from 1993(?), when she rode for Evian. I remember looking at it in person at Mt. Snow. Its is unbelievably light.

I dont even know where to go with all this. I am still trying to let it soak in.

Enjoy the photos.

:shock: :D :D Lucky man. i bet you had to pinch your self just to make sure not dreaming :LOL:

Being I an extremely impolite passionate Italian (you can't get any worse), I have to resist offending you.

Lucky bastard. Can't see me finding a haul like that out the back of the 'Warwickshire Courier', if only becasue Jezza would get in there first :(

Nice avatar too Mike, do you have a higher res version ?

hollister":35pk5p3u said:
sweet baby jesus :shock:

Agreed.

To be fair if you are going to find a haul like that anywhere Durango is a likely spot...

Good luck with the rest of the stuff :D

If there's any stuff not your size, maybe about an 18" or 19" frame I call dibs ;)

ameybrook":3g9hamgu said:
I cant wait to get home and sort this stuff, and then get back there. He has loads more..

...he says he has a Fat Chance handlebar signed by CC... we looked but couldn't find it. I was dumbfounded...all this in my little town.
we both have a ruthie! :D

soooo.... what was your address again? or for that matter, his? ;)

Wow! Mike - bet you're glad i convinced you to go check it out now!! Sweet

That Schwinn Homegrown will make a lovely project bike for your wife to be's wedding present too!

Back