Dating a MTB

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I have bought a old mtb with no decals or identity markings and as yet have not got photo's to help identify it. Consequently I'm trying to date it by components so here is the list of whats fitted :

Sakae non compact chainset with oval chain rings.
Shimano Altus front and rear deraliers.
Shimano freehub rear wheel with narrow axle body and 7spd cassette.
SACHS/SRAM ? Gripshifts
Welgo plastic pedals
Steel seat post
Shimano Cantilever brakes
Cup and Cone B/B
Sakae alloy stem
Shimano quick release hubs.
What look like Rigida alloy rims.
1" threaded headset of unknown make.
The frame is lugged steel with gear hanger and short horizontal dropouts, canti brake hanger, gear cable tunnels under the B/B, Forks are unicrown and look newer.
Geometry is non suspension corrected and quite relaxed angles/

My guess is early 90's can anyone else offer an opinion, also possibly due to the frame lugs I think its British, does this seem reasonable !

thanks for any help and opinions you can offer.

Cheers

Velomaniac

Oval chain rings where 88-91ish time. What would help date it are the shimano part numbers? like 760 or like that. That would narrow it down :D

I thought from the title of this thread you were going ask if it was acceptable to take your bike out for dinner.. :roll:

kingroon":164wc1vh said:
I thought from the title of this thread you were going ask if it was acceptable to take your bike out for dinner.. :roll:

I was thinking exactly the same, thought it was because I'm dutch, but probably not. :)

LTS Biker":3tpd8nts said:
kingroon":3tpd8nts said:

I was thinking exactly the same, thought it was because I'm dutch, but probably not. :)

Hahaha I'd love to take my Yo out for Chinese.. :oops:

:LOL: I have a Trimble in the bedroom. First thing i see in the morning is it (her) :shock: :LOL: plus one in the living room and one in the hallway

Altus came in in 1993 I think. Before that the low end Shimano was 100GS, 200GS, 300LX etc...
Shimano sold groupsets complete untill 1993 when they allowed manufacturers to split them up and as you have a different chainset i'd say 1993 - does that fit?

Back