Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:24 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

STX has never been low end imo. When it came out it replaced LX as that had filled the gap left by DX. LX was always classed as the starting point for decent gear bitd. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:48 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

STX and STX RC stuff was annoyingly good for the bikes it was going on - it was a very classy groupset for the money, unfortunately it was lobbed into the ever churning 'mid level' class of groupsets (Exage etc anybody?) and probably died a financial death rather than a functional one...*

1664 helped make this post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:57 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

drystonepaul wrote:
STX MC30/31 and STX SE (Special Edition) MC30/31-CH first appeared in 1994. Both were 7 speed, with SE having shiney smokey grey surface finish and STX being mostly silver. Essentially though, apart from the front mech they were the same components, just with a different surface colour.

In 1995, STX SE was replaced by STX RC MC33 and ran alongside the slightly lower end but also slightly changed STX MC32. This year STX had the 'Cromica Bronze' surface finish on the hubs, brakes, mechs and outer chainring.
STX RC was silver and had more in the way of 'better quality' variations than STX. ie they no longer shared the same components in different colours.

This continued more or less unchanged in 1996 albiet with minor alterations to both groupset's cranksets, STI units and mechs. STX went to MC34 while STX RC introduced MC36.

In 1997 STX gained seperate rapidfire shifters and brake levers, and lost it's 'Cromica Bronze' finish instead going back to silver.
STX RC however saw several changes including the introduction of the 8 speed MC38 rear hub and MC38 rear mech. These were available alongside the older 7 speed option. There were also seperate shifter pods to accomodate the introduction of V-brake levers and a canti option too making the 1997 STX RC groupset options somewhat large.

In 1998 STX remained as a 7 speed only groupset until it was phased out the following year.
A pared down STX RC groupset got the new 4 arm chainset, was available as 8 speed only and both groupsets shared the new MC40 V-brakes and levers.
Cantis and 7 speed options had been dropped completely.

Both STX and STX RC were phased out at the end of 1999.

There are a few other interesting transitional changes which I could go into, but not everyone finds STX or Shimano M-numbers as interesting as I do...

:shock: You dont go out much then paul :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 pm 
National & North West AEC
National & North West AEC

I've been out riding all weekend Scott.

I do generally tend to spend a bit of time writing well researched and informative posts rather than one liners and nonsense.

Each to his/her own though eh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:06 pm 
Old School Grand Master

drystonepaul wrote:
I've been out riding all weekend Scott.

I do generally tend to spend a bit of time writing well researched and informative posts rather than one liners and nonsense.

Each to his/her own though eh...

One hit and he drops him!

I have been out riding too, and I think I may have an STX RC front mech on the bike I was on!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:05 am 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

I was out all saturday afternoon riding.....and I dont have any stx rc :P

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:27 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

-------

-------

-------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:51 am 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

:shock:

Post subject: Re: STX and STX RC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:48 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Just to prove I can use the search function - Resurrecting an old thread!

I have a question re compatiblity.

I have an Fc-MC40 late model STX-RC chainset. It appears from technical charts to be a spiderless arm, with a 4 arm spider attached via lockring. (lockring is stamped M30x1)The outer chainring attaches via the outer face of the arm, with the middle ring attaching via the inner face of the arm. The granny fits via 4 further bolt holes (closer to the lockring) to the spider.

I need new chainrings. The chainrings on it were stamped Shimano IG M 22, IG M32 and M42.

My lbs tell me that I cant replace the rings, as STC-RC is obsolete and discontinued. I see some reference to earlier STX rings being non standard, but the bolt spacing appears from Sheldon Brown to be standard 104 and 64mm? Are my LBS correct? I've seen other reference to the 4 arm/spider being standard.

So, is what I have compatible with newer rings? Or must I junk the chainset as IG M rings are near impossible to find?

Post subject: Re: STX and STX RC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:56 pm 

Pretty sure those rings are standard 4-bolt MTB chainrings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next