Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:29 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: New Goats a bit pricey?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:15 pm 
Mr Darcy
Mr Darcy

Not sure.

Looking at the new Whiskeytown frames in on MTBR, they look kinda sweet. Started thinking that this could be a nice bike to own. Not really retro, but an interesting twist for a nice steely.

Then I saw the price :shock:

For a stock 725 frame in plain powdercoat this seems a little steep to me.
Cashing in on the name or is this going rate?

Any views?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:15 pm 
Mr Darcy
Mr Darcy

oh, 1099 dollars in case youre wondering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:22 pm 
Retro Guru

It's funny, the US market appears to price at a premium to the UK market, especially taking into account the exchange rates. A lovely Mercian custom can be yours for less (in dollars) than an off-the-peg Rivendell, and the 'Goat is more than a 'plain' frame by a UK custom builder - Roberts, Solitude etc. So I suppose the US market is higher priced than ours (although at the NAHMBS Bruce Gordon handed out questionnaires to builders, and the average salary was $20,000), but even so the 'Goat is probably priced at a $100-odd premium for the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:48 pm 
Old School Grand Master

hmm, obviously the exchange rate is in our favour (go back to 1.91 damn you!).

for $1500 you can have a custom built (obs by sycip) custom sized & more importantly v.priccey custom painted. I know plenty of UK builders are either competitive or even cheaper than this.. but as yet I havent seen many, if any? that can equal the paint...
& lets face it, most original goats make the bigher ££ for the paint:
http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/html/mountain_goat.html for anyone that needs reminding :)

personally I'd happily find a beat up old mtn goat (hopefully cheaper!) then send it back to russ in the US for a brand new "california yuppie" paint job. then hang it on a wall! hahaha, Yup thats how much I love the paint. I'd be gutted to have a cable rub & remove a palm tree from the "yuppie" paint job ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:07 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Considering I paid $1250 USD in 1993 for a Fat Chance Yo Eddy! frame (solid, one-color frame paint), and with the amount of work and effort that went into this new Goat, I'd say that $1099 for a new, hand-made, lightweight steel frame is not priced all that bad.

Inflation rates calculated in, my brand new Yo would cost me $1577.78 today.

I don't think they are priced that outrageously, and if there IS an added expense for name and mystique, it makes the price of these frames priced even BETTER.

Just a few American cents to throw in...

doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:47 pm 
Retro Guru

I think they have a descent price. For a Mountain Goat fan it could be the ultimate dream.

Now I am not a huge Mountain Goat fan, certainly their frames are excellent and paintjobs wonderful, but if Yeti decides to remanufacture the Ultimate I would gladly pay around 1000 dollars or more for a frame. In that view I can understand a Mountain Goat fan paying more than 1000 dollars for a new frame with the exact paintjob he wants.

If I would order a new goat I would want one with the exact same tubesize as the original frame, and the original Mountain Goat logo. And no 29 inch, singlespeed frankenbike with horizontal dropouts. I would set it up with a 7 speed XT II groupo or first gen XTR.