All Things RekTek

classen

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This thread shall be for the discussion of all things RekTek.

RekTek is a relatively obscure Canadian frame that was made (maybe) & sold (for sure) through Reckless Rider Cyclery in Vancouver in the 80s and 90s. I'm not certain of the exact dates. Maybe they never stopped making custom bikes… I see on their twitter feed that they are launching a bit of a comeback… seems to be a trend around here lately.

I own a RekTek steel frame from 1989, and there is at least one other retro biker here (tiboltrider) who owns a spectacular titanium version.

Once I begin the rebuild I'll start a separate thread in the Reader's MTB forum.

So if you own a RekTek or you've seen one for sale or your co-worker rides one to work every day then please post here and tell us about it.

i visited vancouver in the summer of 91, can't remember the name of the shop i went to, but do remember lusting over a toad with pro stop discs. any way, i do, some where i think still have a rek-tek sticker, about 4"x4" i think.

I found and scanned this old photo of my RekTek in it's original incarnation. This photo was probably taken in late 1989 or early 1990. Notice the sweet Garfield reflector in the rear spokes. :D

Attachments

• web.jpg
    web.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 5,597
RekTek

Yes, I was directly involved in the building of the early RekTek frames back when I worked at Rocky in the late 80's. I can't remember exactly how many I built but it must have been upwards of 20. I will dig back into my early serial number logs and see what I can find next week. I do recall making a lot of forks for them as well. These were a straight blade Tig welded variety. I'm pretty sure everything was made of Tange Prestige with a monostay rear end. Nice frames, very functional, clean and simple. Bryn was the designer and my contact for those frames; this all back in the early days of my frame building history. I believe the RekTek Ti frames were all made by Sandvik.
Cheers.
Chris

Hi Classen, I've just emailed you the photos of the decals.

xrayscatter on here also has a ti Rektek.

And here are some more piccies of others I've found >>>

:D

Attachments

• Rekteks (6).jpg
    Rekteks (6).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 5,490
  • Rekteks (5).jpg
    Rekteks (5).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 5,487
  • Rekteks (4).jpg
    Rekteks (4).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5,490
Re: RekTek

dekerf":qjafslmk said:
I can't remember exactly how many I built but it must have been upwards of 20. I will dig back into my early serial number logs and see what I can find next week.

Had a peek under the BB shell and my serial is 2635

I bought this in August 1989.

I swear I saw them painting frames in the back room of the bike shop there on Fir Street. Am I imagining things or did they indeed paint the frames at the Reckless shop?

tiboltrider, those are some great shots! :)

Hey Classen,
So I've found the goldmine of Rek Tek serial numbers. I'd forgotten how many I actually built. Without actually counting it has to be upwards of 75. I also found your exact frame #2635. Frame was built in a group of 3 - 19" frames completed July 28, 1989. I was still working at Rocky at the time. Geo as follows: 71/74, 23.25 TT, 11.75" BB, 16.75 CS, 4.75 HT, built to a 15.125 fork length. Tange Prestige.
You are correct, they did have a paint shop set up in the back of the store during those days.
Incidentally, also found along with it all the original Toad serial numbers and details. At least of 50 those including the Tadpoles and Horny Toads.
Cheers.
Chris

Chris, you're going to make loads (well a few) people on here happy with that find, somebody who can never throw anything away ? :LOL:
When did you leave Rocky and do you understand their serial numbers? e.g. RM1039 ? (~1991 Altitude) or had you left by then.

Back