Setting up Grafton brakes

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Set up Grafton levers and cantis on the Klein. Its the second time Ive tried to get them to "feel" right and its night impossible. All i get is very squishy braking action which feels pants.

Ive tried following the original instructions but these dont really help - any tips out there to get Grafton stuff working properly? Ive tried lowering and raising the straddle hanger etc.

jez,

i've never tried fitting a set myself.
however, the people i know who have say they are a nightmare.
i know this doesn't help, but at least you know you are not on your own.
good luck.

gareth

If you use brake blocks with long spigots, you can change the resultant force on the canti by using either the end of the stud, or close to block. Couple this with changing the straddle wire length may give you some adjustment.

Also, make sure pad is square to rim with forward force on brakes. The Pauls I have just set up twist with wheel rotation, so when set up square to rim witout rotation, they twist away with bike moving forward giving crappy spongy brakes.

Does this help? :?

how close are the brake arms to the pads. the pads have to be fairly far out from the arms (the arms shouldnt be vertical). higher straddle wire will feel firmer, but less power....

or sell them & get some M900 that actually work like I did ;)

I see - good one! They couldnt be that bad to set up if most race teams used them.

The arms are pretty splayed - and the cantis are prtty much on the edge of the studs. I put the squishy feel down to the levers themselves. I would be intrigued to see if anyone has managed to get a nice solid feel with their setup.

Do you have any seatpin bolt hangers or such like that move when brake applied?
Do all the cables have nice flat ends after cutting?

running out of ideas now.

jez-2-many-bikes":1ycp8hm4 said:
They couldnt be that bad to set up if most race teams used them..

dude, most teams were PAID to use them! thats the way race teams work :) ...but yeh I get your point.. they should be useable :)

Ok - they were paid to use them or free equipment etc

You would have a pretty crap race team if the equipment never slowed/stopped their riders.

YETI FAT KLEIN ETC

All the big names used them....

hahaha! :LOL:

andy @ yetifan is on friendly terms with monkey, ex yeti team mechanic.. could ask him for tips... tho you'd probs get sound advice on mtbr.com retro forum & a quicker response :)

Back