KLEIN QUALITY ?

magicmistertea

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Okay i just want to know what the main diffrence between pre and post trek kleins, everyone says quality went down when trek took over klein, so exactly what is now different ? i notice the welds are now not smooth, but i would like to know what they are missing now?

Klein Klein

The Klein, Klein models were hand made at all stages with a great degree of care in the US. The later Trek ones were mass produced somewhere? far east probably. I had one of these as did many friends that fell to bits after a season or so (frames cracked) This wrecked the companies Kudos and they have never sold well since.
Trek seemed to have learned by this error as Gary Fisher still runs the show with his section of the group.
Klein are by no means unique, the temptation to build a gr8 reputaion and then sell out to mass production is rife in the industry. Even Litespeed sold out and Lynskey are back making bikes under their own family name again.
Original Low mileage Klein frames can still fetch big money. Not so the Trek ones.

Re: Klein Klein

Wold Ranger":40509fko said:
... The later Trek ones were mass produced somewhere? far east probably...

Not sure that is right. Most medium and high-end Treks and Fishers were always US made - when I was a Fisher customer (2001/2002 Sugars) the Klein equivilent (Adept) used the same rear end as the Sugar but the frames were all US made. Not that it means much - two of mine were totally fooked in terms of alignment out of the box...

this question gets asked a lot. I've owned both pre & post kleins. the simple fact is trek made klein more user friendly with standard headset, bottom bracket etc etc & slowly took away the unique features that klein was previously famous for.
boring? possibly, but I have it on good authority that klein would have gone under if it wasnt for trek.

klein sales have dropped so much in UK they're not even imported anymore :(
yup, gotta love the paint :D I'd give carsten a mountain of swiss cheese for his klein storm :D

the trek rep i see at work was telling me the same that if they didn't sell when they did there would be no klien's now to talk about. they do look worse now but they are still stong and well built in modern terms, shame the paint jobs didnt continue thow.

Back