KLEIN BBs

magicmistertea

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
having recently aqquired a klein, i was wondering if anyone has ever had a pressed bb out of the frame to service it ? mine seems okay but possibly a bit dry, i have been assured that they dont need servicing but im sure at some point someone has taken one apart , thanks andy

magicmistertea":3bx7w8kp said:
having recently aqquired a klein, i was wondering if anyone has ever had a pressed bb out of the frame to service it ? mine seems okay but possibly a bit dry, i have been assured that they dont need servicing but im sure at some point someone has taken one apart , thanks andy

the bearings are sealed and cannot/need not be serviced. when they have play or are grinding replace them. standard 6003RSR bearings for a few pounds each. the spindle is a press-fit plus loctite so you need a press to get it out. there are a few threads on here and on mtbr.com forum what works best. a hammer works too but be careful.

i've built a press with material from the DIY market and washers/adapters i had lying around for cheap. works well too

BB_Tool.jpg

BB_Tool_1.jpg

the Klein tool works best imho see page 25ff of the Klein manual

http://www.kleinjapan.com/tech_guide/pre97_klein_tech_manual.pdf

you can mimic it with a threaded rod (if the spindle is hollow), some washers and nuts and a piece of metal pipe and then pull the spindle out.

the bearings are loctited in too and you need to tap them out from the inside with a proper rod.

Carsten

Nice DIY tool Carsten.

Don't suppose you have any similar DIY tips for Klein headset bearing fitting :cool:

i have a Klein headset hack which has worked (i think carsten thought it was ok).

it uses a park headset press (internal, less likely to scratch paint) for both removal and install as well as various tubes, shims and cups, many from the MC3 toolkit (readily available).

The only custom parts i made were wood shims for the underside of the fork steerer to replace the metal ones in the original kit.

For removal, i preferred a threaded option versus hammering, so i used something akin to a crown race removal tool to place on the underside of the headtube and clears the underside of the fork.

i wish had pics ...

Also, the small tubes from the MC3 kit are what shim the headset press from the frame. using dense rubber between tool and headtube also help to eliminate frame damage.

Holden,

pics would be great, need to get my Klein sorted....

John[/list]

Thanks for pictures of the tool !
If I need to change my klein BB, I now how to do !

On other hand, I someone is looking for a titanium 17mm straight BB spindle, actiontec make them (I mail them yesterday about it, I'm waiting the answer ;) )

(bad) sketches

here are some sketches.

it still uses lots of concepts from the MC1-2 instructions, it just uses inside of steerer.

when i refer to MC3 kit, its the one you commonly find in the canvas roll-up.

i have used this successfully on a MC1 (93 Klein Attitude) removal/install.

Attachments

• removal.gif
    removal.gif
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,794
  • install.gif
    install.gif
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,794
duh

sorry, forgot to add that i didn;t need to install new bearings.

um.

bearing removal could still be done using these instructions.

bearing install is simpler.

Latest posts

Back