Whats the test to determine aluminium from titanium?

Colour is the usual one, unless it's anodized, Ti is that nice grey colour. Aluminium will be more.... silver :roll:

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I got this snippet of info from the bitchfest that is STW:

But if you want to be sure, weigh the spring, then fill a suitable container to the rim with water, drop the spring in the water, and weigh the water that's displaced by the spring.

Divide the weight of the spring by the weight of the water, if you get a number around 4.5 then its ti

I'm off for a wash

Place frame of choice in damp shed and leave for about five years,
if its ti it will need a quick once over with pledge.
If its alloy it will need a good polishing with metal cleaner and a good buff to get rid of the oxidisation.
If its cromo it will need a dust pan and brush.
And if it is carbon it will need a skip because no matter how long you leave it it will still be a pile of crap!!!!

Sorry kestral owners.

Cheers,Al

scant":npds7ny8 said:
http://www.bikepro.com/products/metals/hardness.shtml

I was assuming they didn't want to mash whatever it was to test it :LOL:

If you don't mind scratching whatever it is get a steel nail and try and scratch whatever it is :shock: if its aluminium you'll be able to leave an indented scratch, if its Titanium it will just leave a brighter coloured scratch but won't dig into the metal :)

I love titanium frames but its a pig to work with as its so hard :? a work colleague was building his motorbike into a race replica so he had me duplicate anything that would unbolt with titanium versions :)

Trouble is since then anyone who wants titanium bits made up comes straight to me :?

Back