Pimp My Ride!

Kestonian

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, I'll admit I'm a magpie. The bits are I buy tend to be the things that look nice and I wasn't really into scouring the web for the "right" parts. But this site takes hold and there are frames that deserve it, and I think my FRO (frame number 36:cool: is one of them.

But, what should I build it with? I have most of the M730 groupset but is this right for the year (estimated at 198:cool:?

What about the peripherals? QRs, stem, seatpost, saddle, wheels?

Should I copy Mike's fabulous build that went up today?

Here she is with a mish mash of parts. Budget's not necessarily the issue. Input greatly appreciated ...

yetifro1988.jpg

in my eyes, the only part that spoils that near perfect build is the front wheel. a more conventional ringle front hub would be perfect.
hyperlite or yeti bars, xt/xtr or grafton cantis

if you're going for a 1988 build you'd have to change quite a few of those parts, personally I dont have a problem with mixed date parts as long as they're inkeeping tho... I'd change the front wheel & pretty much leave as is :)

An 88 build would be tough :) It would most certainly have to involve Bullseye cranks and an FTW stem. Brutal.

Here's an interesting specimen circa 88 for comparison:

DSCN0811.jpg

But hey, 'proper' doesn't apply, its how you want it to look, not how it's 'supposed' to look.

Since I'm the BikePimp, this is the way I would like to see it get pimped....( You did say "Pimp my Bike"). It's all in good fun, plus it took me a while to Photoshop this.

Sorry, but couldn't help it...I'm just doing my job. All kidding aside, I agree the front wheel, eventhough it's nice, takes away. I think a vintage silver or 3-D Violet A-Tac stem would like more in place. Black saddle instead? Some CNC cranks or first Gen XTR would add some spice.

Nice bike. Wish I still had one....once of these days.

Attachments

• Pimped88Fro.jpg
    Pimped88Fro.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,177
:) - great picture BikePimp. I wonder if I can get some UV lights fitted under the down tube!

An FTW stem would be pretty cool. They come up occasionally .... other than that I think a Ringlé hubbed wheel could be good, or Scant suggested a HED.

I seem to remember the front mech cable being pretty funky on these. The mech is moved by pressure from the cable outer, or something.

Kestonian":1o795hec said:
I seem to remember the front mech cable being pretty funky on these. The mech is moved by pressure from the cable outer, or something.

Thats how mine is run.

DSCN0949.jpg

The actuation of the housing moves the front mech lever. Works fine.

Back