Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:55 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gnarly Brits
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:16 am 
Retro Guru

Wold Ranger wrote:
Whoa, UK trails are recognised as the harshest on a bike anywhere, the fact is that there are more Hardtails being offered, equates that this is what riders want.

Harsh as in cold wet and muddy? or pure technical riding?? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:19 am 
98+ BoTM | BoTM | Gold | Rider
98+ BoTM | BoTM | Gold | Rider

andrewl wrote:
kingroon wrote:
Haha love it, fightin' talk :wink:

Well someone had to liven up the debate and suggest a reality check ;)

Good call :wink:

There's no way a HT can out ride a FS rig on enduro stakes, if the geometry is XC based.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:28 am 
Retro Guru

Wold Ranger wrote:
with the extra weight and energy sapping that goes with it, when you have to pedal back up.

You obviously haven't ridden a good FS bike then have you ;)

On a long technical ascent (unless you are walking) a FS bike will eat a hardtail for breakfast.

Hardtails are great for smoother trails but we just down't have a lot them where I live so its FS all the way here with no regrets :D

Post subject: Bad Weather/ Mean Dirt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:30 am 
Old School Grand Master

Wet n Cold, Hot and Humid, gritty, gnarly, rocky, technical, just plain awful most of the time, probably why our emigration rate to your' fair shores is the highest ever!
The maintenence on full sus and even just forks can be a real pain here, never mind the cost of replacing bearings/seals, Canada shares similar terain, which is why their Hard Tails are big sellers over here. A lot of Hardcore riders will opt for full rigid in winter (the grounds soft enough to not need suspension!) Single Speeds are becoming very popular too, again the maintenance/weight issue. We had 13 inches of rain in June and another 8 inch or so in July, low weight and low maintenance will always be a UK issue because of our climate and terrain.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:33 am 
Old School Grand Master

andrewl wrote:
Wold Ranger wrote:
with the extra weight and energy sapping that goes with it, when you have to pedal back up.

You obviously haven't ridden a good FS bike then have you ;)

On a long technical ascent (unless you are walking) a FS bike will eat a hardtail for breakfast.

Hardtails are great for smoother trails but we just down't have a lot them where I live so its FS all the way here with no regrets :D

Yes I have had dozens over the years: Spesh FSR, Marins FRS, Giants, Kona's, Fishers, 'Dales even a couple of Yeti's, but we do peddle back to the top as well over here! (A lot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:46 am 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

[quote="andrewl"][quote="Wold Ranger"]

If the FS rider is not fit or not got the nerve then the HT/rigid will fly past. Thats the thing with this sport its alL about the person on the bike -fittness, skill & nerve i'm sure their are more but these are the 3 most important . IMO. I ride rigid and that how its going to be - low maintenice low cost and big on fun. :D
I love threads like this 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:02 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

I think it also has a lot to do with what you perceive as 'good'

For some it is; light weight, max number of gears, mega stopping power, black...

For me it is; hassle free, craftmanship, geometry, class and it has to last LONG

..so with this knowledge for me a HT is more likely the right choice. It not necessarely has to be a SS, actually rather not, as XT2 does offer all I want.

Last edited by Elev12k on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:26 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Everyones regular trails are different so arguments like this are pretty pointless...but still fun.
I have a full sus bike and a long travel hardtail and I use the hardtail most of the time. I prefer the handling characteristics, I like to get out of the saddle and have to manouevre the bike around not just sit on the bike and spin :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:30 am 
Retro Guru

Do you go for a bike ride to get to your destination quickly/easily, or to have fun on the way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:51 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I got my first full bouncer (Moots Zirkel) this year and love it. I've used it for shorter rides and races and an all day epic and just cannot fault it. It's different for sure, but I love it. I still have 2 hardtails, and a road bike but the Moots is now my main bike.

Having considered at a lot of bikes before I made up my mind, I still think a nice hardtail looks way better and when you're buying a bike to which you know you'll be emotionally attached, aesthetics are important.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next