SO! Hardtails still rule, maybe we are not all mad then!

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
This months What Mountain Bike mag', runs a four bike test, "best all day mountain bike" comparing top endish, RM Slayer full Suss'(£3000) Spec' Epic Comp full Suss (£1500) Kona Kula Alu' HTail (£1700) and a Cotic Soul 853 HTail (£1750) After extensive riding the Cotic wins hands down!
OK its got a Long travel Fork and Discs, but it still proves that full Suss for all day riding still doesn't cut the mustard and probably why so many new top quality Hard tails are appearing from just about everybody, more importantly that we are not all mad, just not prone to fashion fads! :LOL:

You can't beat a full rigid bike for handling, speed and response

Sometimes I worry about you nostalgic Brits on your rigid bikes clutching at any article which suggests old bikes aren't outdated, some of you are getting as bad as the classic car writers who suggest that an MGB is a good sports car.... (its neither) :roll:

I don't ride with anyone these days who would select a hardtail for an all day epic, but maybe our trails are less groomed than yours ;)

andrewl":2s3vxlc8 said:
Sometimes I worry about you nostalgic Brits on your rigid bikes clutching at any article which suggests old bikes aren't outdated, some of you are getting as bad as the classic car writers who suggest that an MGB is a good sports car.... (its neither) :roll:

I don't ride with anyone these days who would select a hardtail for an all day epic, but maybe our trails are less groomed than yours ;)

Haha love it, fightin' talk ;)

does anyone actually believe what they read in what mtb? :roll:

you'd have to give a pretty strong argument NOT to ride XC FS these days when they pedal as well as hardtails weigh only a fraction more & have all the benefits of suspension. I sold my winter ti hardtail, when on a climb on exmoor realised I would have been better off on my xc fs rig.
i know this is a retro forum, but you better get with the times if you still think full suspension is sluggish pedaling & purely for downhill.
the only thing i would agree on is that there arent many "pretty" xc fs bikes about; whereas theres lots of cool looking hardtails & rigids ;)

Gnarly Brits

Whoa, UK trails are recognised as the harshest on a bike anywhere, the fact is that there are more Hardtails being offered, equates that this is what riders want. In the long run a long day ride means a lot of pedalling uphill in the UK, Suspension is nice on Gnarly downhills, for a bit of fun, but a pain on a long day, with the extra weight and energy sapping that goes with it, when you have to pedal back up.
Nothing to do with reminiscance, Hardtails are just more practical and still dominate the UK trails. We can't all be wrong!

this is all wrong. an all day ride is exactly where you want FS. a sore arse is not what you want.

for the shortish hacks that i go out on, hardtail = win.

kingroon":2qmgr7bk said:
Haha love it, fightin' talk ;)

Well someone had to liven up the debate and suggest a reality check ;)

All in good fun too before anyone takes it out of context - which gives me an idea for a new thread to get people talking... :D

Latest posts

Back