Fred Salmon, so where did he go? Also rate his components

passiflora

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I understand back in the day Fred used to race lots, despite being ancient!.

Have seen quite a few Fred Salmon bits recently, & it always seems his stuff is under rated.

So where is he now?

Also did Fred Salmon ever make a mountain bike?.

Components ---------- Bars, Stems, Grips, Quick Release. Can you add to the list?

Tar in curiosity...yes I know it killed the moggy :D

Passiflora

The only link with the components and Fred is his name on them. Like marketing some David Beckham football boots. You wouldn't imagine DB actually wearing exactly the same ones. Have some FS bar ends on my Rockhopper, they are cheap but do the job they were designed to do.

Thanks for your replys so far.

So does Fred have or maintain any interest in Retrobike's? etc, Interesting to know he still runs a bike shop.

I have only had Fred Salmon grips!. They where awful :)

I quite like some of the Bar -stem combo's I have seen on here though.

Does anyone use any Fred Salmon stuff on there retro-builds?

had a few stems,my new saracen has one fitted and tbh the quality is very good. nice simple designs built well at a sensible price.

wont go wrong :D

kit towards the cheaper end of the market if memory serves me.

was watching a Youtube clip recently with Fred racing in it. I had to laugh as someone (maybe Mr Salmon) had decided to shun a spare innertube and save a bit of weight, then halfway through the race were asking spectators "has anyone got a spare innertube?" :LOL:

i have 2 brake boosters in blue ano made by fred , there in the shape of 2 fish kissing :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

fred salmon

i have a ahead stem recently purchased and installed(1") from t'bay. i'm not sure if it is old kit or reproduction but i like it for its overall quality feel sort of milled from aluminium and lightweight. the fred salmon logo is there but barely visible on a fone cam! and, it has the removable front plate to avoid wrestling the grips off and, rounding off the shifter/lever fixing bolts even more. so far so good and in a 1" steerer size should be with me for a while.

Attachments

• Photo-0046_e1.jpg
    Photo-0046_e1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 5,672
Fred Salmon stuff was good kit at reasonable prices.

I had one of the bar stem combos that I bought from someone on here. Nice finish and reasonably light too.

I remember when this stuff first came out and Fred Salmon himself was promoting it at many of the trade shows at the time. A few of us went up to one of the shows (at Harrogate, iIrc) with the boss of the shop that I was working at. One of the other guys was looking at the stuff and saying how it was just cheap Taiwanese tat with someone's name on it to make it look good. He turned around to find Fred himself was standing right behind him! Needless to say we weren't welcome on that stand any more. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back