Hello. I'm new here. Have a look at my bargain find....

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi! Always loved the retro stuff as I started riding about 1989 I think but only ever had enough cash to keep a modern bike going...
However I found this bike at a car boot sale for £15!! I had to have it!
I want to actually ride it a bit so have got some V Brakes for it. Needs new shifters and wheels and cables etc but it's all coming together.
The Flexstem is actually in really good nick and WORKS! No major rust and looks smart. I was going to sell it but it's in keeping with the age of the bike and I reckon it looks good too.
Saracen Tufftrax (1990??) and it's proud owner 5 mins after buying it.
dd83d6f5.jpg

Nice find! And hello!

If you don't mind unsolicited advice, keep the cantis. They are just as good as V-brakes, only a bit more messing about to get working.

dump the plastic pedals and get some metal ones...not so slippy....epic find btw...no wonder your happy....makes me want the carboot season to start again....welcome to the forum too....hide the wallet....

With all due respect, that's not what my experience tells me! I'll keep the exage canti's if someone ever wants them but a set of 2010 LX V's is waaaaay better here in the Peaks.
I remember riding my zebra stripe GT Tequesta with Shocktech forks and XT2 cantis with Scott Matthauser blocks down Chapelgate in the early 90's and I can assure you even a cheap set of V's were better!!

gibbleking":3tflnz4p said:
dump the plastic pedals and get some metal ones...not so slippy....epic find btw...no wonder your happy....makes me want the carboot season to start again....welcome to the forum too....hide the wallet....

The pedals never even made it home..... They were soooooo bad...

The frame is bordering on needing a respray but I don't think it's worth it really, it's not that good a frame. Mind you it would make a cracking tourer.

cantis plus peaks equals trouble.....mind you i crash in norfolk a lot and its flatter than a flat thing here..

saracen

hi mate, welcome aboard.

nice find, retro indeed! keep it as original as you can i would say. i do agree the brakes may need beefing up in some way. either adjustment or replacement. v- brakes not a bad idea, try get some oldish ones though. like, m600, stx-rc, etc...

practically speaking....(and, for my future reference) which cable route method will you employ to install v-brakes at the rear, with the frame being set-up for cantis?

cheers.

It is already full outer cable all the way from the lever to the brake so it's not a problem. It has internal cable routing too - why does no one do this anymore?

Back