It makes me mad.....

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
A bit of a rant follows, for which I apologise in advance, but it makes me so mad that on tonights ride I was reduced to red faced apoplexy and I felt the need to share.

Ok, so what exactly vexes me so? I HATE it when slang such as the following are used:

- Campy (for goodness sake it is Campagnolo or Campag - would the Badger or Merckx have used effete sounding Campy? I think not)

- fixie/fixer (no, it is a fixed wheel bike therefore fixed but nothing else. Honestly)

- Bonty (for me this signifies post Trek buyout stuff and therefore, despite there being nothing wrong with the kit, it isn't the 'Bontrager' that we know. So is wrong)

- Spesh (why, Specialized is not difficult to say or spell, if you struggle with either and are talking about a bike just say the model. But not Stumpy - well, you wouldn't say Rocky or hardy would you?)

I can probably think of several others but don't want to work myself up into a frenzy or the only way I can calm myself will be to daub myself in woad and howl at the moon while I thrash myself with birch twigs. And I don't want to do that.

I feel much calmer now and apologise again for the irrationality and prejudice expressed above.

so your saying you dont want me to share pics of a brazed bonty fixie with campy bits?

:LOL:
sorry couldn't resist
:oops:

Love to see a photo, it would say a thousand words without the need for a description to sully it :D

abbreviations don't bother me nearly as much as mispronunciation. meh, to each their own.

crappy cellphone pick, sorry

Attachments

• bontytrackfork.jpg
    bontytrackfork.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,945
From that little snippet I'd say you can describe it any way you like, looks very tasty indeed

ededwards":21jxq8nq said:
Ok, so what exactly vexes me so? I HATE it when slang such as the following are used:...

Personally I find the substitution of 'mech' for 'derailleur' equally irritating. ;)

I don't find those abbreviations as irritating as 'whats it worth' posts or people looking for info on their base model pos 1999 GT Karakoram thinking that is's A) rare and B) vintage.

'whats it worth' posts are a little mercenary especially if its someone who's not a regular poster.
However I don't mind people asking about lower end models as at least they're showing an interest and pretty soon they'll get hooked and be selling their gran for a spangly but relatively useless part.

andrewl":3kb3zo4y said:
ededwards":3kb3zo4y said:
Ok, so what exactly vexes me so? I HATE it when slang such as the following are used:...

Personally I find the substitution of 'mech' for 'derailleur' equally irritating. ;)

Mech is the correct term actually. Hence front / rear mech.

Derailleur was the name of the frenchman who invented it and so technically only his products are Derailleurs.

Same in essence as Hoover / vacuum cleaner.

Just so yer know...!

Back