1" Headset Choice - help me decide

messiah

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm needing a new headset for this lovely frame and it's going ahead,

ymtqe7.jpg

I'm going to be fitting a Manitou stem which is Silver so a silver headset would look great, but I have blue flanged hope hubs to fit, blue salsa QR's, blue bolted rear mech with red jockies, red seat QR, red Marzocchi forks with red adjusters, red bottle cage bolts, and red SPD axle collars.

I'm thinking I could go blue, red, or even patriot.

795.jpg

Should I pimp it up or go for the silver?

What do you Retrobikers think would look magic? :cool: and what would look tragic? :oops:

IMO don't spend such £££ on a King when a perfectly good Ahead can be bought £30-40 in silver. :)

tintin40":11d9iw43 said:
IMO don't spend such £££ on a King when a perfectly good Ahead can be bought £30-40 in silver. :)

Good point, but what is a good silver headset for £30-40?

I see FSA Orbit Extreme and Campag Records for £45 which is pretty close to a King from Aspire (£70).

Magic - silver

Tragic - patriot. Not a yank now are you. And that frame certainly ain't.

Silver would complement forks very nicely. Nice silver post and yer sorted!

messiahGood point said:
I bought one for £25 with sealed bearings from the people who import Shimano. It's smooth BUT doesn't have the 'name' of the costlier makes. The difference between a Ford and a Merc.
P.s
didn't know Kings started as low as £70

BoyBurning":zbiak69i said:

Actually, he probably isn't a 'yank' as that refers to someone from the New England region of the U.S. or at the very least the northern part of the U.S. Southern people aren't yanks and don't like to be referred to as such.

Also, if referring to colors on a flag, it might just as well be from Cape Verde, Costa Rica, Croatia, North Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Paraguay, Russia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Thailand, Yugoslavia. As they all have red/white/blue flags and given that most people around the world are proud of their countries, would be called patriots.

So I say, go for the red/white/blue headset. Your bike may not be from Paraguay, but dammit, those Paraguayans deserve their due.

Pinguwin
[/url]

The best choice is the Chris King Devolution™. It´s a head set for all your live. Blue navy could match. In ebay USA cost 98 euros shipping included.

BoyBurning":36hpzr67 said:

God bless America! ...said the Dutch

YoEddy13.jpg

I think the 'Patriot' one is sweet. Has not so much to do with the America thing, but more with that I like the colours. On the other hand: With the multiple colours it works a -little- bit wild. A wild theme fits a Yo better than a DL me thinks. Silver won't be bad

I'm with Pinguwin on this one. And since my bird is Czech, she'd be pleased with the Patriotic colour scheme as well! ;)

Patriot I reckon - the blue lower cup contrasts nicely with your fork crown whereas the silver would get lost. If you decide to go for silver, although the DL probably deserves nicer (read, more expensive ;) ), don't think you can go wrong with a Cane Creek S2 - fitted one to my C16R when I converted it to ahead - lovely looking shiney headset.

Back