SID 10th Anniversary Edition

kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
New Rock Shox SID just around the corner?

From CyclingNews.com

Rock Shox's original SID debuted way back in 1997 and revolutionized the world of cross-country race forks overnight with its enticing combination of light weight and tuneability. Now a full ten years into its running, the SID hasn't changed all that much in its fundamental appearance or chassis layout (in fact, many parts are interchangeable).

The current World Cup model uses a one-piece crown-and-steerer assembly, the lower legs received an overhaul just a handful of seasons ago and, thankfully, the internals have been thoroughly updated, but the most basic dimension of its 28mm-diameter stanchions have carried on year after year. Nevertheless, it still remains one of the most popular front ends on the XC circuit.

In honour of SID's tenth anniversary, Rock Shox has revived the original graphics scheme for its sponsored racers including the original 'SID' logo and that distinctive blue hue. This isn't all that significant in and of itself but Rock Shox has clearly taken a page out of the automotive marketing textbook by displaying this commemorative model on what is certainly the eve of its replacement.

Recently surfacing spy photos suggest the new SID will finally wear an oversized chassis (probably with 32mm stanchions) and the top model looks to be filled with the company's latest Motion Control damper and Dual Air spring design. Rock Shox has also launched its own teaser site but it's frustratingly devoid of any real information. It's been a good run, SID, but your time has come. Stay tuned.

Rock_Shox_SID.jpg

Even though I'm not a big SID fan I may have to find some of these to go with my 10th anniversery Bombers and SIDney limited edition fork. :D

andrewl":2x2mu9fh said:
Even though I'm not a big SID fan I may have to find some of these to go with my 10th anniversery Bombers and SIDney limited edition fork. :D

Nice collection :cool:

Was thinking about picking up some for my IF Ti Deluxe* ;)

* have locked in a Forward Foreign Exchange deal with work for an August '08 purchase

Unless the colour balance in that photo is funny, that looks nothing like the original SID blue to me.

Gonna be a snip at £599 too :shock:

At least you'll get a free bottle of champagne to help soften the blow when you tell the other half...

I know most people say SID's handle like a wet noodle (yes I am quoting Joe), but I like 'em. They suit my frame. *There's an ancient proverb in the 36th Chamber of the Wu that states that a fork should weigh the same as the frame it compliments in order to acheive equalibrium in the way of the Wu.

*this is unproven, and may just be a not very urban myth russelled up dillusional people that have watched too many kung fu/ ninja movies. Maybe...

They would look great on the front of the re-issued Zaskar frame. £1200 for them both though :( Time to re-mortgage.

Back