Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:43 pm 
Retro Guru

gm1230126 wrote:
delboy009 wrote:
Hmmmm ... Beware my local bike shop has one - Quest in Worthing, Sussex !!! They are crap ! Total modern cheap thrown together whoopsie !! And I have good basis of comparison as I have a 92 Zask LE!! Well... I did as of today !! Sold it to a Frenchman on Ebay !! You may remember the mirror polished one on here just recently ?

Anyway, I think he's retailing at £499 but he can keep it considering I sold my entire bike with M900 XTR etc etc for £500 !!!

:cry: Miss it already !!! All that work :?

Don't go passing judgment on the Re-Issue frames so fast until you've either built one up or ridden one or both. They are damn nice frames.
I've seen them up close (have 2 in boxes sored away) and they are well built.

Im only passing judgement on the one that I HAVE seen in the flesh and its a wrong'n !!! For a start the most obvious cock up was looking from behind the post's welded for the canti's to fit on were welded one higher than the other !! Slightly mis-aligned !! Not Good !!

Dont get me wrong, I love these frames but was just hoping that they may have been NOS sitting around in GT's factory I guess !! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:29 pm 
Old School Grand Master

And I suppose you put a micrometer on it to determine that.... or was it your misaligned eyes? :lol: :lol: :lol: The way they are jigged when built I'd say that's highly unlikely. Possible that one weld bead is a tad larger than the other but the actual brake post height position being different is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:07 pm 
Retro Guru

gm1230126 wrote:
And I suppose you put a micrometer on it to determine that.... or was it your misaligned eyes? :lol: :lol: :lol: The way they are jigged when built I'd say that's highly unlikely. Possible that one weld bead is a tad larger than the other but the actual brake post height position being different is not.

No im deadly serious !! Even the owner of the shop noticed it !!! Its nothing to do with the fishscale weld its the actual post is set ever so slightly higher one side !! It is minimal but its annoying none the less !!

Please dont take it personal as its no dig at you I was just a little dissapointed as are a few others on this thread!! Maybe expecting too much !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 pm 
Retro Guru

:)

Last edited by 8lezard on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:04 am 
Old School Grand Master

Someone that knows confirmed to me that the stock level they are showing is BS.

Post subject: Zass
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:18 am 
Old School Grand Master

BITD the later disc mounted LE and race model frames were £999, so maybe not such bad value after all. On the other hand are they still made in the US or Taiwan? If the far East ,then not such good dosh, as you can get a decent Pace 305/Whyte 19/Tank/Commencal for a lot less.
Not a fan of the Polished and Billet finishes though, too shiey in the Sun and soon looked rough as the lacquer would soon chip and peel, always preferrd the Anodised finishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:43 am 
Retro Guru

Surprised they didn't make the XIzang reissue a limited edition.