What rims for 1992 retro build

mousemat

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hello people,

Just after a little bit of advice, what rims are suitable period rims for a 1992 retro build? Seen some interesting Mavic X517 in citron lemon colour, can anyone shed any light on the age and any thoughts on the colour? I'm not quite sure.

too new, but i tend to go more for the spirit of things, and by that count, they're ace.

manitou916":29to1i6d said:
1992 is deep in Mavic "M231" and "M231 CD" territory. M231 CD's were my favourite rims BITD...

and as rare as Rocking Horse sh*t to find NOS :cry:

Here's some M231 rims on stx 7 sp hubs on ebay, pick up only from darbyshire (arrange your own courier or maybe someone here local?), saw them the other day when searching for something else, be quick though cos there's only 9 hours left?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mavic-mountain-bi ... dZViewItem

:cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Probably even harder to find than the Mavics (please someone, disagree!) my favourite rims from around that time were Wolber AT18's. Had a set for over ten years on XTII hubs. Had to true them a few times but they did have a hard life. The wheels still live on today on a mate's wife's bike. Hubs are still smooth but the rims were getting slightly too thin for serious biking. If I could find some more I would get them built onto the original hubs.

The bike is a 1992 Specialized S-Works carbon, a bargain eBay find just waiting for it to wing it's way over from the good old US of A. Already got some carbon/ti future shocks and starting to collect some M900 XTR bits.

Hi Mousemat - starting to get a few members in MK on here! Let me know what XTR parts you need as i may be able to help.

Kev

Back