The opinion of my felow retrobikers is sought.

Full M900 XTR vs M730 + shiny bits

• XTR- Nothing but the best!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XT + British shiny things, individuality counts!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am about to embark on a build.
Pace RC200, a very nice frame is coming my way.
Obviously most of the finishing kit is pre-ordained by the rules of Pace but I am struggling to decide on a groupset...

M900 XTR is beautiful and a full M900 groupset is my preference but is hella-expensive these days.

M730 XT is seriously iconic and works well, I could sex it up a bit with some nice cranks and hubs for probably less than the price of the XTR.

I feel that the XT route with Hope hubs and Middleburn cranks is the more BITD build than full M900.

Opinions please!

M730 was very old by the time the RC200 came out. Its an 80's groupset.
Go M900, those lovely satin tones will really suit a Pace, it shifts better and you get an extra gear to boot.

I would say that the XT/Hope route is likely to be much more representative. I can't remembe ever seeing a full XTR bike back in the day...
And I like Hope stuff, so that's what I would pick.
What rims you going for?

My choice would be XTR if I could afford it. As Dr. S says, it is a much better working and looking group! I can remember seeing a lot of full XTR equipped bikes BITD around here.

I think it depends on what you want to achieve with your build. If I had a pace, I'd want to hang the best from it, so would go XTR. If I wanted to build an XT specced bike, I would probably choose a different frame as a base.

Nothing wrong with mixing the M900 drive train with Hope hubs or other bling in my book.

Back