My Ultimate so far...

nynx

Retro Newbie
ultimate.JPG

Thanks for being the inspiration for this rebuild. I couldn't have come this far without all the inspiration from your bikes! I've been lurking and building for quite a while... Almost done!

The Critical stem is a big ??? Seems rediculously flexy! Shame considering how great it looks! What do you guys think.. keep it?

Here's the full specs

Frame: 1990 Yeti Ultimate 20"
Fork: Kona Project 2
Headset: King Devolution (New Production)
Stem: Critical Racing
Handlebar: Titec Ti 118
Shifters/Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M900
Grips: Yeti Hardcore (New Production)
Barends: Control Tech
Seatpost: Syncros
Seat: Brooks Professional
Bottom Bracket: FSA Ultimax Ti Spindle 127mm
Cranks: Cooks Quality Products
Chainrings: Race Face (New Production)
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Chain: Shimano CN-7701 (New Production)
Brakes: Avid Tri-Align with Kool Stop Pads (Onza Chill Pills Too)
Hubs: Chris King
Spokes Wheelsmith DB
Nipples: Wheelsmith Alloy
Tires: Panaracer Smoke/Dart

I know the Kona fork is out of place for the front end. I stupidly left the Accutrax behind when I had a Judy put on some years ago. I really wish I could find an Accutrax with a 1-1/8" threadless steerer. I like the option of running stems aside from an ATAC or FTW quill.

I do have another King Headset with all the parts to run either 1-1/4" threaded or a-head.

I'm up in the air on the Critical stem though. I think it looks incredible. It also feels so flexy. It may be dangerous! :roll: At the same time I'm not sure if this was designed to do this in the first place to provide some "cush". The stem was an ebay acquisition and is near perfect. I'd really like to keep it on the bike!

I know the King wheels are a little out of place as well. I additionally have a set of Pulstar hubs with Araya RM17 rims to use. Unfortunately I really like the looks of the black ceramic rims/black spokes/gold hubs on the bike. I think it really looks good with the purple. I know the wheels are at least 5 years too new though.

I really want to buy the Brooks Ring grips for it but $80 seems ridiculous!

Back