Newbie saying hello!

DAVE O

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,

I've been lurking on here for a couple of months getting inspired to get the dust off the machine and start riding again.
Hope my bike qualifies as a 'retro' :)
It's a GT Borrego which I bought in about 1994. Originally had suntour pro groupset but has been changed over the years to Shimano XT/R.
I'm finding that on longer rides my hands are going numb from the vibration and was thinking of fitting some retro shocker forks. I'll post a pic in the reades bikes section - see what u think - any advice on fork make/spec would be great

Thanks
Dave O

carefull!

check out the threads below this, there are some right moody bas***ds on this forum that will frown upon you if you retro fit sus forks to an original rigid bike ! but hey its exactly what ive just done ! so dont worry about them if its what you want to do. by the way if you brought it in 94 i would say source the correct rc 35s or mag 20/21s are approx the right era. you can pick them up in the for sale section on this site or on e-bay. anyway welcome dude, im also a bit of a newbie to this site.

Welcome! If that first ape like thing hadn't picked up a stick when it couldn't reach the fruit at the top of the tree where would we be now? Fit the forks I reckon. As mentioned above, choose a set with lower than average travel to suit the non suspension corrected geometry of your frame.

hey magicmistertea

Don't put him off already....i raised the question about sussy forks on a retro ride so i guess that makes me partly responsible. :roll: But let the guy ease himself into the forum gently...then we can hit him with both barrels. :LOL: only joking Dave O.....welcome! :LOL:

I'm sure, like me, you'll find this place entertaining and addictive at the same time...retro is a disease! :LOL:

Hi!

If it was my bike I'd go for an older Rock Shox Judy XC or Indy if you can find one without shot cartidges/elastomers :D

Stu

okay sorry

perhaps i should go easy on the guy, because ive only been here for a few weeks and have allready upset some of the so called "gurus" there i just did it again, its easy when you know how. seriously thou be prepared to fight your corner if you fit those forks.. !!!! hahahahahhhahahahah hahahahhahah

Iwasgoodonce":2s1nz326 said:
Welcome! As mentioned above, choose a set with lower than average travel to suit the non suspension corrected geometry of your frame.

FS not my taste BUT if you feel you will benefit then follow the above advice.
Hope you find the site a help. Advice is what this site is about. And to share your 'retro' views/opinions. Not just an alternative to e-bay :D

Thanks for the replies - the bike gets used alot at the moment and I can do without the numb hands - its more out of necessity than originality or looks.
Might just buy another machine tho and keep this as is :)

Thats what happened to me bought one for going to work and fun. then i saw anther ...... :roll: the rest is history :LOL: no money

Back