Keep it on or strip? -oo er

Gonzalez

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
My bike's pintwork isn't too bad, scratches here n there but original. Decals pretty scuffed. What do people think about takin the plunge and stripping it and starting again (risking it'l never be the same again) or keeping it as it is but always being a bit dissapointed that it's not quite a cool as ya want it?

I say you ought to go for it. All things considered it is only a bit of work on your part or a few $ to have someone else do it. Decals are easy enough to replicate, so all-in-all it ought to be a positive endeavor for you. ;)

I think it comes down to personal prefference really.

I prefer to keep things original as it is after all a mountain bike and the odd scrape should be expected. I also think the bike looks loved more if it has obvious signs of use in the past rather than being a garage queen.

There are limits though and if the paint and decals are totaly stuffed and the whole frame looks like trash then it's probably worth doing a repaint etc.

If the paint or decals are hard to match then I'd also stay original e.g a well worn Mountain Goat paint job it going to be very hard to match if you go for a complete respray.

Mr. Zero":3qxduj1b said:
Decals are easy enough to replicate

I'm still think some of the reproductions are a bit dubious - for example to date I haven't found a reproduction set of 97 Kona King Kahuna decals which actually match the originals - although Gil may have updated his earlier efforts.

question is - how quickly will you scratch it again after a respray? I would respray if for a garage queen, not bother if for use everyday where it would quickly return to the state it's currently in anyway.

I'd go for 'leave it as it is.' You wont get a 100% match if you respray etc. Just look after it and enjoy. That what cycling is about. Getting out off rode and enjoying the bike. Thats the problem with 'garage Queens' its only 25% of the fun. Mtb's are about getting off road and enjoying the country side. Fast down hills, a little slower up hills and all thats in between.

Depends on cash flow really. I was torn when I had my Orange sprayed. I bit the bullet and have not looked back. I can always have it resprayed the original colour if I ever want it back to factory fresh.
I say go for it!

your paint doesn't look that bad - if you're intending to start riding again I'd keep it as it is. (Any yes the decals do look tricky but I think Retrobikeguy (?) may have the artwork!)

Gonzalez":1rzks2wo said:
aha we seem to have two camps....Saracen Traverse Hydrotech decals look quite complex though eh?

Weren't they 'computer aided designed' If i remember that far back. Was the big selling point :LOL:

Back