Orange Clockwork

jonnyretro

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just picked up an old Clockwork frame and forks today. Its an early one with the cable guide on the bottom bracket for the front mech, classic orange and white etc.
Now, the frame number is A89124341, can I assume from that that it is a 1989 model? I was under the impression that Clockworks werent sold until 1990??
Anyone an Orange frame number nerd?

Not sure if the serial number is year dated but it seems too much of a coincidence not to. Orange 'began' in '86, Tushingham, the 'All Round Range', 'O-Range', then 'Orange' and all that... but they first made frames under the Clockwork name in late 88 IIRC (certainly in '89 not '90). The under BB guide changed to the brazed on top type in late '91.

Just spoke to Orange and they said that the frame numbers did not work like that, so were unsure of the year. My 94 Clockwork starts A404 so that kind of backs that one up.

Max is right, definately late 88 not 90. Here's the first Orange ad from MBUK Nov 1988...

and a 1988 Tushingham B52 (with the red stem, over that guy's shoulder.

Tushingham B52's were pretty much identical to 87 Muddy Fox Courier/ Explorer frames that year too. Not sure they were'ne re-badged? They even had that tiny seatstay/ seat tube point of contact weld thing.

:)

Attachments

• b52.jpg
    b52.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 3,084
  • orange1.jpg
    orange1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3,083
Took some pics of it tonight.
Here is the rear end.
When did the chainstay bridge get deleted?
Also note the brake cable stop and the hole in the mount. All the ones I have seen are solid and not sculpted like this one.
main.php

And heres the front end.
Note the decals.
main.php

Now look at this thread of a 91 frame.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =clockwork
The bridge is gone, the guide is solid and the font used for 'Clockwork' is different.

Off topic, but for 50 bonus points, who can tell me why the car in the background is so rare? And if you are a even sadder, but for 100 points, name that pushchair!

Hmm, slightly confused by yours - it is an early model (pre the late 91/92 update - see mine below) with fatter stays, less mud clearance, c-stay bridge, early graphics....but it should have below BB cable routing IIRC.

The updated 91/92 model was late in delivery - I was in the trade then and had one of the first batch with a free T shirt from Mr Noble as compensation - still have it!

So we can confidently say its a pre 92 frame. Thats good as I want to build it using M735 components as I have a few bits already and its a fairly easy groupset to get hold of.

Back