S-Works M2 story to make you cry

seeminglyabsent

Dirt Disciple
This is a very sad story. Back whenever, I fell for the idea of getting an S-Works M2 hardtail frame and carbon FSX fork. I had an S-Works M2 road bike which I loved so it seemed to make perfect sense.

I bought the frame. I built it up. I went for the test ride and it didn't want to go in a straight line. Checked the wheels were seated properly. Checked everything. Still wouldn't ride straight. Looked closer to find the rear dropouts had been machined incorrectly side to side. I dismantled everything and took th efaulty frame back to the shop.

Here comes the sad bit.

Someone at the shop cocked up.

Picking up the box they didn't realise it had a frame in it.

They chucked it in a skip.

The shop ended up bearing the cost for the faulty frame they never got round to returning to Specialized.

I never did get my M2.

Ah the old 'chucked in the skip' one. We had a spate of stock going missing from the shop I worked at: regular bag checks showed up nothing, CC TV in the shop showed nothing, eventually we found out that a couple of guys who worked in the shop were putting good stock in the old bike boxes that we used as rubbish boxes, they would then take the boxes filled with rubbish out to the rubbish skip and would then return later at night to empty out the boxes of all the 'rubbish'. Crafty buggers got away with loads, eventually got found out when they tried to throw out a whole bike!

Seriously unlucky though, so close to the perfect bike only to have it taken from your mits (and to be wasted like that)!

Your tale tugs at my heart strings

If I had not previously relegated to keeping it hanging on the wall and offering to my Son when he turns 25.......I might have considered offering mine to you.

If I ever do have a change of heart, I will definitely contact you as this bike seems to have a similar place in your heart.

That is a promise! :)
Here is a run down on the specs.

It has never been ridden and hopefully never will be.

It is more an ode to all that is XTR as it has every XTR item offered during 94-95. and I mean ever XTR part.

THE GREY GHOST
Make: Specialized
Model: S-Works
Year: 1994
Frameset: M2 Metal Matrix
Color: Battleship Grey
Forks: FSX Carbon Titanium NOS
Cassette: XTRCS-M900 8 speed (P-Type) NOS
Shifters: XTR ST-M910 Optical display NOS
Front Derailleur: XTR FD-M900 Bottom Pull NOS
Brakes: XTR BR-M900 C Cantilever NOS
Brakepads: XTR BP-M900 Cartridge NOS
Chain: XTR CN-7401 NOS
Bottom bracket: XTR UN-91 73x113 NOS
Pedals: XTRPD-M737 NOS
Seatpost QR: XTR SQ-M900 NOS
Seatpost: XTR SP-M900 NOS
Crankset: XTR FC-M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR RD-M910
Rear HUB: XTRFH-M900
Front Hub: XTR HB-M900
QR Skewers: XTRM900
Wheelset: Specialized S Works Z-21 "Pro"
Tires: Specialized Umma Gumma Grey
Saddle: Specialized Prolong TitaniumGreyNOS
Handlebar: Specialized Alloy flat bar
Stem: Specialized Titanium 150MM NOS
Headset: Diacomp Aheadset NOS
Grips: Scott MountainGrey NOS

I also have a NOS XTR Headset and a NOS Nitto Quil Stem but have differred to the Ti stem and conventional aheadset.

The wheelset is the 1994 S-works ultra lights with the the fully intact S-works logo going all of the way around the perimiter. Very tough find indeed.

I would love to post up a pick but due to a recent move it is somewhat dissasembled and I have subsequently lost two very small brake retaining nuts and my NOS grey XTR cable housing. :(

Re: Your tale tugs at my heart strings

Correction:

The seatpost is the silver SP-M910 and is NOT NOS...but beautiful none the less!

wouldn't mind seeing that grey ghost when you get it together.

Better go and buy an M2 now then hadn't you mate, perfect excuse I'd say - having someone else chuck yours in a skip.

:)

Most M2's weren't straight, they did have allignment problems. Just some were worse than others :roll: Back end was usually off to the non drive side from memory

P20":3i04bnso said:
Most M2's weren't straight, they did have allignment problems. Just some were worse than others :roll: Back end was usually off to the non drive side from memory

dont forget the paint falling off in a light wind & frame weights varying massively as the extrusion dyes got eaten up... cool looking bikes tho.. I love the early 90s :D .. a classic case of retro coolness me thinks :D

Oh well...... seeminglyabsent.
Looks like our dream bike is a lousy, paint peeling, out of alignment junker.
13 Years of wasted dreams.
Rats!

Don't get me wrong. Yes they had their faults, but they were superb bikes. My 95 M2 was excellent, brilliant handling bike, just with a liking for turning left ;) :LOL:

Latest posts

Back