What actually denotes 'RETRO'

bounty69

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,

I am sure that this topic has come up loads of times before but hey.....

What actually denotes 'Retro', i mean is it looked at purely as early 90's?

Where does '95 to say 99 come into it?

Just wondering

By that I mean that it's personal thing really. No exact definition. It's looking at something retrospectively which you appreciate for it's design / engineering / quality etc which you remember from the day. For me that's anything up to '95 when I stopped riding.

However, there's people on here with stuff from '97/'98 which I like as well. While it's not what I consider retro, it is to them so I appreciate that and it becomes a sort of second-level retro for me. Basically it's something that embodies cross-country nimblesness and poppin out with yer mates before the advent of 20" travel and bikes that look like they're missing an engine.

Newer than vintage, older than modern. If its even cooler now because it was cool back then, then its probably retro.

Thats my take anyway. :D

retro is more an attitude than an age. hence why my 93 'dale has v-brakes, it blends the best of old and new.

ameybrook":18kq92tq said:
Newer than vintage, older than modern. If its even cooler now because it was cool back then, then its probably retro.

Thats my take anyway. :D

I'd go with this. After seeing what's new now and what's happened to some bike makers (eg Klein)

BoyBurning":6vlsp8q3 said:
Basically it's something that embodies cross-country nimblesness and poppin out with yer mates before the advent of 20" travel and bikes that look like they're missing an engine.

that sums it up for me nicely.

in terms of timescale I always say if its 10 years old its retro, but for me 90-95 were the golden years!

Thanks guys, this really helps.....

I like what you guys are saying,

See i have been mountain biking since the late 80's and although i have a real , i mean a real appreciation of what i personaly call the retro era' i.e 91' - '95, you know the whole Overend, Rockwell, Giove, Deaton thing but i have this other era' that to me still comes up as a sort of second level retro era... that is mid to late 90's!!

I really love the time when the whole suspension thing really started to develope and as i said before, i still class the 90 - 95 times as 'golden' for me although the late 90's where just as iconic!

I don't really think that much has changed over the past 8/9 years, just travel got bigger, when in my opinion it doesn't need it, i mean most of the trails that we rode back in the early 90's havn't changed that much and we rode hardtails back then, see what i mean??

So thats it really i just wanted to make sure that i wouldn't be banished for having these views!!!! lol

Oh by the way MadCowKev, i tok your advice, well not just your advice, there were plenty others,.... and i took the listing off ebay, finished the Palmer replica, got the magazine feature and guess what... i love the bike and can't bring myself to part with it.... what was i thinking

Cheers

bounty69":3g268dj1 said:
Oh by the way MadCowKev, i tok your advice, well not just your advice, there were plenty others,.... and i took the listing off ebay, finished the Palmer replica, got the magazine feature and guess what... i love the bike and can't bring myself to part with it.... what was i thinking

Cheers

Hey buddy

Glad I could help - guess you won't be parting with it now then? (and don't misinterpret that ;) )

The Palmer replica may not be as iconic to everyone as Rumpfy's Tomac replica, or from everybodies era of choice but I think its pretty cool achievement and I'm sure others here will agree. Nice one!

(Now go get it dirty)

Back