Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:53 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:04 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 9245
Cor blimey. We only get to choose between an Orange or a Kona?? Harsh.

Would have to be a Kona. I have never liked the way Oranges ride- tried them BITD and more recently. Konas have a decent ride and look nicer too.

Kona.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:09 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
FluffyChicken wrote:
If the team over here where riding and demoing them in 1991 season then there will have been an importer, no point advertising what's not available.
They where certainly in the shops for the 1992 season, and from memory in there before that year all at my LBS. They are still open so they may remember when they got them.
I think oldned knows the chap from the old importers
Anyways, on with other peoples preference. (Still Orange here ;)


mmmm your right its all about preference, we will move on.....!!!! i did the race circuit at this time nationally though, and i certainly dont remember seeing rocky prior to 92, or certainly not on shop floors, anyway, but with this said, i suppose it is possible that a small number did, and i was looking the other way, i must confess i wish i had seen them, ive been riding rockys now for the last ten years at least, and they are fantastic builds....!!!! Ask oldned for me would you, im very keen to know now, i know the current importer, and also the previous importer personally, but i dont know that far back.....? ill ask darren next time i see him, maybe he could enlighten us....!!!!!!!!!

and again good luck with getting hold of that orange prestige, my fingers are crossed.!!!!! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:23 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
Dr S wrote:
Cor blimey. We only get to choose between an Orange or a Kona?? Harsh.

Would have to be a Kona. I have never liked the way Oranges ride- tried them BITD and more recently. Konas have a decent ride and look nicer too.

Kona.


yeh only due to tha fact that i chose the kona all those years ago, but always had a need to know how the orange rode in comparison, and i was intregued at others opinions, neither were handbuilt like the fats etc, all mass produced in the far east, but both were landmark brands for me and im sure a lot of others too....!!!!

for me back then i too chose the kona, liked the look too , and certainly the geometry got me hooked, it got me into steel first, and then onto my rocky mountain decade.....via bontrager, and indy fab etc, as years progressed....!!!!! never tried a fat though you seem pretty hooked.....any good...?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:53 pm 
Classified Mod
Classified Mod

Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:34 pm
Posts: 12690
Location: Fife in Scotland
I bought my Explosif new in '94' and Ive still got and I'll never sell it EVER!
Ive raced, toured, commuted on it, I love the riding position long and stretched out room to breath, it climbs like a goat, does technical like a ballerina, comfortable ride yet stiff when you hot up the pace, steep top tube to let you do trials sty-lee, its light, its strong, Ive had a few steel Kona's and Ive got a '91' Explosif project on the go, bottom line is I love early steel Kona's.
Ive never owned but Ive ridden a few Orange's they felt like good bikes but nothing memorable, not as comfy as the Kona, possibly that wishbone rear end, I like the look of them, tidy looking cable routing I thought. Would I own one I dont know, the fact that I hesitate maybe speaks for its self.

The Kona :wink:

.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:55 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
RobMac wrote:
I bought my Explosif new in '94' and Ive still got and I'll never sell it EVER!
Ive raced, toured, commuted on it, I love the riding position long and stretched out room to breath, it climbs like a goat, does technical like a ballerina, comfortable ride yet stiff when you hot up the pace, steep top tube to let you do trials sty-lee, its light, its strong, Ive had a few steel Kona's and Ive got a '91' Explosif project on the go, bottom line is I love early steel Kona's.
Ive never owned but Ive ridden a few Orange's they felt like good bikes but nothing memorable, not as comfy as the Kona, possibly that wishbone rear end, I like the look of them, tidy looking cable routing I thought. Would I own one I dont know, the fact that I hesitate maybe speaks for its self.

The Kona :wink:

.


A fantastic well expained reason .........excellent... 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: TBG vs CITRUS
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:55 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 981
Location: Worcestershire
OK, here is my 2 pence worth:

I have owned both brands and at the time made an informed decision about buying the bike. If i really had to choose just one now it would have to be ............ neither.

There is no way you can separate the 2, they both did different things in different ways. The 'KONA' brand came from good solid backgrounds; it had the builders of legends and the history already in place.
The 'ORANGE' brand came almost from nowhere, they did whatever they could do to get sponsorship initially as Tushingham, then when they started to get a toehold they branched off and took a chance.

As for 'Yoofs bike' this was the brand that brought honest affordable frame design to the masses, the first I think to market the slopping top-tube through main stream shops, not custom made efforts.
As for 'Garden shed operation', they where entrepreneurs that where forging new ways and design/paint by a UK builder, they have forged history in what they have done.

So I couldn't possibly choose just one, maybe next I’ll do a hybrid Kona/Orange mix see how that turns out.

That is my opinion, and I’m sticking to it.

:xmas-cool:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:10 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:27 pm
Posts: 209
Location: South Buckinghamshire
I was very new to the sport back in 1991 and so I did look at a wide range of bikes available both in magazines and shops.
But for me now it'd have to be an Orange, nothing against Kona's, I do have a couple of non vintage ones lurking somewhere?
I suppose I should add those to my signature list?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: TBG vs CITRUS
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
maverick wrote:
OK, here is my 2 pence worth:

I have owned both brands and at the time made an informed decision about buying the bike. If i really had to choose just one now it would have to be ............ neither.

There is no way you can separate the 2, they both did different things in different ways. The 'KONA' brand came from good solid backgrounds; it had the builders of legends and the history already in place.
The 'ORANGE' brand came almost from nowhere, they did whatever they could do to get sponsorship initially as Tushingham, then when they started to get a toehold they branched off and took a chance.

As for 'Yoofs bike' this was the brand that brought honest affordable frame design to the masses, the first I think to market the slopping top-tube through main stream shops, not custom made efforts.
As for 'Garden shed operation', they where entrepreneurs that where forging new ways and design/paint by a UK builder, they have forged history in what they have done.

So I couldn't possibly choose just one, maybe next I’ll do a hybrid Kona/Orange mix see how that turns out.

That is my opinion, and I’m sticking to it.

:xmas-cool:


What can i say to that............!!!!!!!! apart from you are in my opinion 100% correct, on the summing up of these two brands....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i like your style maverick.................... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

But no way you aint getting out of it that easy you cant make a alien hybrid from the two.........you have two consider and choose.........!!!!!!!! And remember you have a grand or less.....!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
BITD, with only the two choices here, I would have bought the Kona.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:20 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7055
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
Neil wrote:
BITD, with only the two choices here, I would have bought the Kona.


what made you decide on the kona.......?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tvalve, Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group