Bottom Bracket Question

kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm looking at a UN-71 BB on Ebay and wondering whether it's the right tool for the job..

What is the difference between this model and the UN-72 mentioned in the Most durable long lasting parts thread?

Does it have a hollow spindle?

Also, at 68/110mm is it good for low profile cranks?

Many thanks in advance ;)

bc47_1.JPG

i have a UN71, had it since 97, it's been in most of the frame's i've owned since, and it was second-hand when i got it. to put this in perspective, i can kill an LP26 (basic shimano cartridge) in less than a fortnight

110 is a fairly typical compact drive axle length - my 98 LX's (the weirdy four arm ones) sit on a 110 i think

I think 68/110 is ok if your frame is not very wide. Of course be sure the BB housing is 68 and not 73.

I know people who experienced multple times the older non cartridge BBs were sturdier. The XTs with silver spindle. I never had an issue with them.

MadCowKev":2zrkuxu4 said:
kingroon":2zrkuxu4 said:
Also, at 68/110mm is it good for low profile cranks?

perfecto for M900 cranks!

Bewdy, so perfecto for M737 too.. :?:

Cheers Melv, yeah I'll have to check the BB housing, but pretty sure it's a 68mm..

M900 is designed to be used with a 107mm spindle.

From memory, M737's are designed to be used with a 110 so it should be sweet 'Roon.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you need one. I have a 68/107 BB-UN52
And a BB-UN71 but I'm planning to keep it myself :)
Also have one in my steel city cruiser, but don't know the type.

Back