Merida Help Please

kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi Ive just received a Merida Albon Tech XT bike and would like to know more about it.
I thought it was about a 94ish but the seat say 89 now I know components are changed,
but every thing looks pretty original except the front wheel. the frame is bonded alloy front end with cromo rear :cool:

IMG_3172.jpg

Will post some more pics later any info about it,
would be great help.
Ive had a quick look around the site but have only come across two others and there's not much info about them.

cheers kaya

DaveDH told me about a Carrera he had a go on BITD that had an alloy triangle and a steel rear.

I know many Carreras were made by Merida thus I suspect the Albon may also have been sold under the Carrera(Halfords) banner ;)

Cheers velo I thought that they may have used an existing model, rather than design some thing different.
Everything seams to be XT so even if the frame gives up after a few rides,
I'll still have everything to hang on another frame :cool: But the frame is a bit of a looker ;) it looks like the paint finish has been done with a rag :shock:

Here's some more pics

IMG_3173.jpg

Handlebar Damage, If I can't sort this I'm going to cut it down :cry:

IMG_3175.jpg

It even came with XT pedals on the XT 730 cranks :cool:

IMG_3177.jpg

Top Tube

IMG_3178.jpg

Seat Tube decals

IMG_3179.jpg

More seat Tube decals

IMG_3181.jpg

Cromo Forks

The stem and seat post are Zoom and may clean up, But if they don't it's a good excuse for an upgrade :LOL:

Slight red herring in my earlier post, DaveDh was not talking about a Carrera however Merida has made Carrera's.

Merida is basically Giants main Taiwanese rival in that its a huge bike builder that makes bikes for other marques. Thus there is a chance a frame like this has appeared under a different badge.

Albon does mean Alloy Bonded ;)

merida fact

when they started a big marketing campaign in 97/8 ish the scotish rep
came up with the slogan "your oafa your heeda if you dont buy a merida "

this is true by the way

mikee":27g0tce3 said:
if the zoom stuffs O.E. fit thats 92/3 ish

albon = aluminium bonded ?

The zoom bits look like they have been on since new,
From what Ive found out I thought 93/94 but the seat has 89 on it.
I know the seat could have been changed but looks original.

The front triangle is ally tubes bonded to cast? lugs and the seat/wheel stays are cromo bonded, No welding :shock:
The cranks and group-set are XT m73.... 7speed so its 90 to 94 :roll:

Worked in a shop that stocked Merida from late '93 onwards. The had some '92 models in stock when I started there and they as with the '93 and then '94 models were named with a number such as '870', '880' and '890' depending on the hierarchy of the component spec, so I guess the 'XT' nomenclature may put it a bit earlier 89-91 as you suggest.

Paint looked nice, but was indeed pretty fragile.

Just found this thread over on MTBR with a '90 model that looks to have similar graphics to yours so that may be a match: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=397277

Groupset date is 1990 to 1993, (given it's a XT bike we can be fairly safe in thinking they've not been upgraded on the bike), these XT parts will be a manufacture date on the back (two stamped on numbers) this will give an indication of the bikes year.

I would say the seat post and handlebars have been an upgrade as they don't suite the bike

look for a frame serial number as well. Mass produced bikes should have something logic.

to me it has a typical look of a turn of the 90's bike.

Back