1" into 1-1/8" does go, or does it?

kona kid

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
being a fan of the new ritchey stuff and there being a bit of a shortage (and lack of patience on my part) of 1" stems I was thinking of fitting a 1-1/8" stem with a shim onto my 1" forks - but i'm not sure of a few things:
1). how this would look
2). i guess i need a 1-1/8" top cap?
3) how well does it fit onto the spacers (as I guess these need to be 1" like the headset)

any advice/help?

Is this A-head? if so then buy a shim to fit the bigger stem onto the smaller steerer. I normally go to ukbikestore - £3 :D for a shim

Assuming you mean a 1 1/8" ahead onto a 1" ahead....

I have the same setup on one of my road bikes

a) Looks ok
b)Yes
c)Depends on the od of the stem. Should look fine.

As John says - I have this set up on the Vit T and it looks and works absolutely fine

Can you use these shims ok with hidden clamp designs - ie syncros/ringle/pace, or just with the split steerer clamp types?

ta.

hi gump
i tried both a pace and a syncros with a shim and neither would grip properly - the pace was really bad actually. not sure if it differs with alloy and steel steerers tho - mine was alloy. ive had to order a control tech with a 'normal' type clamp until i find something perfect in 1" flavour. :?
BC

I use a shim with Hope stem and Pace RC-31c not retro. But sweet. I know Moots stems come with a shim. But they should for that price :D

I've used the shim on the same steerer with the following stems without a problem: Syncros, ITM road, Thomson, Hope.

Perhaps just try it as it's only a couple of quid?

Back