trouble aligning an IS mount disc caliper? try out SPOT!

mountainloz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i have recently fitted my Specialized Shark fin adapter to my FSR Elite frame,
unfortunately the caliper sits a bit close to the disc and not in alignment with it either
if it's too far away, that's easy to remedy with a set of caliper shim washers

but if it's too close what are your options?

THIS!

i have borrowed this from work to set my brake up at home tonight

it is the HOPE Spot Facing tool, it will ensure the mounting points on your frame are parallel to the rotor and in alignment with each other. this will improve braking performance and reduce disc drag.

so to help others i decided to take a few photos as i went along...

as with everything Hope, it is really well made and well presented
hopespot001.jpg
hopespot002.jpg

the large machined aluminium guide slides over the axle 'stand in'
and you line it up with your disc mounts
hopespot003.jpg

hopespot004.jpg
hopespot005.jpg

hopespot006.jpg

then the milling tool gets put together, the aluminium hand wheel and the cutting bit
hopespot007.jpg

sliding the cutter through the guide and into a disc mount, you turn it around until it takes an even layer of aluminium away from your mount, you then loosed the grub screw in the handwheel and slide it solidly up to the guide and re tighten onto the cutting bit
hopespot008.jpg

hopespot009.jpg

place the cutter into the next hole and repeat until the handwheel is flush with the guide, the face of the mounts are now perfectly aligned with each other and the rotor
hopespot011.jpg

hopespot012.jpg

hopespot014.jpg

hopespot015.jpg

oh i know i've got my eye on it, but judging by all the people who are coming out of the woodwork looking for one, me winning it in my budget range is gonna be a miricle lol.

@ Khane - if you don't win the sharkfin my dad has one that came with an M4 frame he bought 2nd hand, but he's sticking to V-brakes.
I'll ask him if he wants to get rid of it. Pm me if you're interested.

ajantom":2f6wky17 said:
@ Khane - if you don't win the sharkfin my dad has one that came with an M4 frame he bought 2nd hand, but he's sticking to V-brakes.
I'll ask him if he wants to get rid of it. Pm me if you're interested.

sweet sent you a PM :D

Back