another question from a newbie!

kwakman

Retro Newbie
hi to every one ,I came across you guys while looking for info on a 1994 kona kula.My son has just brought the kula of his mates father after many years covered in muck and dust at the back of his shed.Its cleaned up quite well but she does have a few scar's,mind you we all have after 13 odd years :roll:
The 1" marzocchi's are pretty much dead,will I be able to fit a 1"1/8th head set in the frame? as I have an old pair of judy's kicking about, its a short term fix to get him out in the hills and he is on a budget with his paper round cash :!:

If your Kona is for a 1" headset, you have zero chance of getting a 1 1/8" headset in there.

Is the 1" headset a de-evolution headset or have reducers?
Does your Zocchi have the bolt on steer/crown? Then you have options.

You can't fit a 1 1/8 into a 1" sadly. Are you sure that the Kula is 1"?

If it is then your best options are:

1)if your Judy's have a bolt on steerer and crown then you can get a 1" replacement on ebay occasionally
2)Check ebay out for old forks (Pace often come up in 1" as do Judys)
3) Get a set of Project 2s from wiggle.co.uk in 1"
4) Ask nicely on the classified here and see what some of the guys have!

Welcome to the site by the way!

The frame is made from easton ali ,it is the same colour spec etc as the gold kula in the 1994 kona cataloge that I found on here.It has mazocchi 1" threaded air/oil forks and a quil type stem as in the cataloge.It seems to have a large 'head stock'and headset. The "head stock" looks the same size as my ali hard tail I use. I just thought I would put the question out there before I dismantled 2 bikes to try it out.

Deffo 1 1/8 headset for sure! Even '91 konas were using that size...

Would like to see pics - '94 was the first year of the kula I guess...

Latest posts

Back