Mmm, Orange C16R spotted in my local dump, but.... should I?

Hermit

Retro Guru
Just dumped a load of garden stuff at the local dump and on the way out one of the guys that works there is wheeling over to their hut a bright green bike, mmm, looks interesting? Turns out to be a 18"ish C16R but unfortunatly he's on the internet looking it up, 'you wanna get rid of that?' I ask, 'well, at the right price' he says.

Anyway, so I check it over and there's a whole load of things need sorting -
RST Forks - seized, loose headset, loose buckled and ovalised rear wheel with 3 spokes missing, seized and rusted cables, damaged handlebars, chain is on the limit of replacement. All other parts ok but need cleaning up.

£70

Buy it or leave it - I have to think about all the cost of replacing bits like forks, maybe headset, maybe sprockets, cables, chain, bars etc. Maybe forks could be serviced and used, but you just don't know? And there's all the time involved stripping bits, truing wheels etc?

You see, if I'd have got there 5 mins earlier and seen someone getting it out the car I'd have been straight over and taken it, but I think £70 a bit much for all the work it needs?

:roll:

Think 70 quid's a bit much really. Guess it depends what the frame's like, but you'll probably end up having to replace everything and maybe get the frame resprayed etc.

All adds up in the end, and the seventy may end up being a lot more.

They normally go for 200 ish fully sorted so you have to weigh up whether you're seeing it as charity from saving a bike being trashed or thinking further for a cheap commute bike.

Don't think they'd get 70 selling it on the open market to people just after a bike, and have probs just put a premium on it because you have shown some interest.

If you could get them down to forty then go for it - otherwise (if it was me) - leave it.

You could always express interest for a cheaper price and pop down in a couple of weeks to see if it's still there.

Not sure what the deal is with tips, but think they have to declare a price for something before they can buy it and offer it to the public - depends whether the bloke is willing to pay 70 quid for it himself, if not and it doesn't sell then the price is unrealistic and you could get it down.

i cant believe that the workers are allowed to sell peoples rubbish???? :? :shock: offer him £30 or grass him up :)

the blokes a bit of a rip merchant really my local tip lets me take the bits i want free as long as i dont take the mikey on what i take or cause a nosence to any one there ok grassing him ups no good 99.9% of council office workers couldn't give a rats a**e what the workers at the tip do as they dont want the extra work load sad but true but there is that 0.01% who care :cool: :cool: :cool:

depends how much you want it? £70 sounds high considering its very bad condition plus if i understand correctly its not his bike? So if that is he shouldn't be selling stuff. grass him up ask his boss nicely can you have this 'rubbish'

Mmm, I'm not sure what the deal is with tips too, it's always had a place where they sell stuff, I've taken things there myself as I've thought them too good to just dump and it's sort of recycling really, but usually you can get things for a couple of quid!

At the moment it's in a container where they keep all the stuff, he seemed to think he could sell it for more or put it on ebay, but it's unrideable so good luck with that! Yeah, I reckon he did see £'s flashing before his eyes when I showed a bit of interest.

The frames very good considering the state of the other bits and if it had some original rigid forks I'd be a bit more inclined. Grass him up, mmm, tempting but like said don't think anyone will care really?

I'll go back in a couple of weeks and offer someone else a tenner for it to get it out the way ;)

Cheers :)

Ask him what he is going to do with it. If he is a retro biker you have a new friend. If he has no intention of building it up offer him £30 or something. I hate to think that a nice bike would just be chucked back into the landfill just because the worker was too arrogant to drop his price. I assume like everyone else on here you have many bikes and know how they work. You could try to get sympathy and say it was yours but was stolen. Failling that you could sell him loads of your old spares to help him on his way !! If all else fails give him beer and biscuits as bribery !! :twisted:

YEP, THAT'S THE ONE! :shock:

Erm, also needs new rear tyre - cos it's got huge splits in it, I measured the chain and it was on the limit so probably chain and sprockets and maybe front rings and the bars have been crushed and bent where one of the barends is fitted and been twisted round ... just in case someone else is interested so you'll know.

I don't think he knows that much bout bikes as he wasn't aware of the things I pointed out ... I said the forks were seized so he started pushing on the bars, 'there's a bit of movement?' he said, erm, that's the half inflated tyre moving, 'oh, yeah?' :? the forks are locked solid, rust showing through the seals under the dust boots and one leg has been pushed through bout half inch on one side of the crown, so probably will need new one's.

I'll keep an eye on this, anyone wants it go ahead and bid as I've really got enough as it is ... but, it would be soooo funny if no one bid on it and I got it for 99p :LOL:

Back