Paint for 1997 Marin Quake

smiley_boy2501

Dirt Disciple
Looking to restore my Dad's old '97 Marin Quake 9.0 FRS. Need some paint and possibly need decals for it too. Had a quick check and the only mention of it on the internet regarding paint is on Bikepedia, which says 'Anodized Silver'. I was going to contact Marin, but they don't seem to have any contact details per se, just through dealers.

If you suggestion is go ask a dealer and you know Manchester could you also suggest a good one. My nearest is Edinburgh Bike Shop and their useless with MTBs.

Also I haven't decided whether to keep it yet or sell it on. It needs a major upgrade to get it to todays standards - anyone know what size forks it will accept? Keep an eye out or let me know your interested and I'll keep you posted.

"todays standards" rofl this is retrobike :p

most of us are still running cantis :oops:

as for colour, does it matter ? by the sounds of it you're not aiming for a period correct build so does it really matter what the colour is ?

Hi

I have a Quake 9, I had to get the Pivot point re welded due to cracking and I replaced the rear swing arm with a B17 unit.

It is not anodised, it is a very hard to remove paint, but it is paint. I didn't bother to match the paint on the frame as it was quite a small section, that is mostly hidden in use anyway. I did however try to get the paint matched for the swing arm unfortunately the local place I used could not quite do it. I ended up using a silver from the ranger Rover range of colours.

I doesn't quite match but it's not bad. Hopefully you can see in this pic?

Attachments

• SP_A0049.jpg
    SP_A0049.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,562
Ok. I'll just see what i can find.
Have to say, your bike is awesome. Thats what I'm aspiring to. How did you put the rear disc brake on?

Hi

Thanks, The Swing arm is from a Marin B-17 it comes with disk mounts, however it needs a bit of fettling to get it to fit properly. you could also use a swing arm from a newer Mount Vision. The B-17 is ideal however, as it is a bit longer, so it gives a small amount of extra travel. But also increases the head angle, which is good for the 6" forks. You should probably not go for such long forks, unless you like relaxed handling. ;-)

Good luck

Simon.

I have had my quake 9 since new.
I specced a pair of rc36 forks back in '97 and they are still on the bike and going strong.
But you can spec a longer travel fork if you want.
I definitely wouldn't have sullied her beauty by putting disks on her.

Can provide some pics, but to be honest I doubt you will ever get that accurate a match.

Any pics of your quake?i have a quake and im currently deciding what colour to powder coat it?white is favourite at the min.

Latest posts

Back