It was 30 years ago today

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
I ran across these shots of a ride I went on in the spring of 1977, just now 30 years ago. I took them with a cheap camera, so the quality is poor, but they capture the essence of the experience. All of the bikes in the photos are old-style bikes modified to ten speeds and upgraded with BMX or motorcycle handlebars and motorcycle brake levers. In other words, state of the art.

Attachments

• RidePhoto04.jpg
    RidePhoto04.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 3,988
  • RidePhoto03.jpg
    RidePhoto03.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 3,987
  • RidePhoto02.jpg
    RidePhoto02.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 3,987
  • RidePhoto01.jpg
    RidePhoto01.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 3,987
This was taken in January 1977 at the Caribou Ranch recording studio in Colorado.

Attachments

• CaribouBikes.jpg
    CaribouBikes.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 3,984
:cool: :cool: Looks like down hilling was :shock: Is the area still like that now? Love the wooly crash hat :LOL: for those soft landings :LOL:

wow think im young anoth to say wow again so cool is that where it all began mtbing or was it earlier than that im still unshore how it all began just rumors and gossip is all ive ever heard about how it all began but those pics just make you wanna go out and just ride that was 6 years before i was born :shock: :shock: :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

tintin40":24qeidsm said:
Looks like down hilling was :shock: Is the area still like that now?

Here is the exact same spot shown in one of the old photos, this one taken last year. Note that the trees on the ridge at centre/left are bigger now.

The photos of the bikes on the ground were taken at the low point between the two hills in the background. This is very close to the Repack Downhill, and the riding conditions are unchanged from 30 years ago.

Attachments

• OldYeeForkSmall.jpg
    OldYeeForkSmall.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 3,841
Back