What ONE bit of your bike were you oh so proud of BITD?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just flipping through a pile of retro mags here at work and got a thinkin' that BITD those of us that didn't race or have stunning bikes were usually saving up for, or spoiled rotten enough to buy totally unecessary upgrades for our (usually) low/ mid range mtb's that then became the envy of our peers and the first steps of a journey that has brought us all together right here, right now.

And it doesn't seem to be the case any more does it? You don't see £300 bikes with an uber stem or bling c'set or pimpy skewers. Just one component sticking out like a ten week paper round stint, saved, sore thumb!!??

What were you known for down the park?

For me it was the '87 MF Courier with an Odyssey Pro Vapour 150mm 0 deg stem and XT pedals on it pimping it up somewhat un-necessaily.

You?

(very very very bored at work.)

it was 2 things: a pretty non-descript bike with a Girvin Flexstem and a Flite Ti saddle...oh and SPD's.

Then later it was the same bike but with a Hope cable disk brake in the days when hardly anybody had them.

You couldn't buy anything pimpy back in my day b/w 1970 and 1985 to fit on the awful machines my mum bought me until I bought my first real bike.

But as to not pimping old £300 bikes my son rides a Cannondale M300 which has a ful XT kit and Hope skewers and my Bilonas Ridge (temp ride) is also XT and X-lite a lot of the latter will find it's way onto the Clockwork when all is together.

mmmmmmmmmmmm she's Lurvly :LOL:

Bitd bits I was most proud on my bike was my magura hydraulics, that was on my GT karakoram elite, all my mates had to have a squeeze :) :? :shock:

I had an old steel bike (The red Batavus) and saved a lot of money for my Syncros seatpost, Rock Shox Quadra 21R and a real Deore XT fornt mech.
Later a bought the top of the crown:
A Mavic M217 SUB UB ceramic wheel with a M900 rear hub. Still have that beauty.

Latest posts

Back