Show me your 2X9 setup...

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
...I'm almost certain my next build will have one. Why? Just 'cause. I've got a bunch of ideas on how to make one work, but what is everyone else doing?

Not a 2x9 but still worthy of some drooling over........

Attachments

• thy-gk-3qtrfront.jpeg
    thy-gk-3qtrfront.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,872
  • thy-gk-drivedetail02.jpeg
    thy-gk-drivedetail02.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,872
SORRY. But 2x9 ? whats that? I run two chainrings at the front and 9 at the back. But thats not it is it?

Ahh, tha 2 speed cassette... proper retro that boy, all the rage in the thirties before them flash eyetaltians got them three speed jobbies...No derailliur in them days mind, changed them gears by 'and and shortened it to suit, used to drill out the handles of the link splitter to save wight, a quick break and rejoin of a chain could win or loose a race, 'chain link jim' were the quickest, 'ands like lightning they were! (I'll stop now)

;)

ameybrook":1orttgem said:
...I'm almost certain my next build will have one. Why? Just 'cause. I've got a bunch of ideas on how to make one work, but what is everyone else doing?

Raceface Turbines with a 44/29 setup up front works very well with a nice spread, but if your legs are good (I'm assuming they are reasonably strong) 44/32 (or 46/34) works ok too.

stevet1":1zfbslqq said:
Nope. Its nine chainrings at the front and a two speed cassette.

Damn, and I thought it had something to do with running a huge granny ring 28t and an outer ring as an inner or a large inner. But I really know nothing about it and why.

If I am mixing me set up's do let me know, I'd hate to look a right pudding :oops:

Get a Middleburn RS7 or 8 crank and run it with a pair of DUO 29/42 or 44 rings. The granny ring is also the spider for the outer so they are uber light. Not cheap new but very reasonable off of eBay.

yep, I have run a Middleburn RS7 duo at times, 29/42 with an 11-32 rear. As said, nice and light, and looks cool too ;)

No real issues, but less overlap (obviously) which means chainline is often not so good. I set up front mech so you have two positions in middle ring instead of inner ring - gives a bit more clearance to chain.

sricklegs :LOL:

was thinking of doing a 2x9 on my Ritchey, anyone know if it would be possible with a road chainset? as a compact can allow you a smallish chainrings, similar to the old style Ritchey setup, plus nice and low profile too (nice on the knees ;) )

Latest posts

Back