Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:21 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:49 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Been running Ritchey 2x9 on my Fat for a while. Think the rings are 29, 44. Seems to work OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

it's not very retro is it? 2x9 - unless you track down and go with the Ritchey versions - which was quite cool but a pain in the bum to setup first time round.

i've been using 2x9 for ages - since my Ritchey setup died, currently using race face turbines 94bcd, boone ti rings 29/42 - 44 shown in the pic, but the 29/44 was too big a jump.

biggest issue is chainline, with a 113mm square taper BB the chainline was off and i'd consistently drop chains when downshifting the rings low in the cassette range, moving to 107mm cured that. am currently using these cranks and rings on a 2006 RacerX with a Phil Wood 108mm square taper BB - no problems.

Attachments:
2x9bonty.jpg
2x9bonty.jpg [ 47.36 KiB | Viewed 2598 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:33 pm 
Retro Guru

kona kid - anything is possible. I currently run singlespeed and it suits me perfectly but I might consider going to a 1x9. I use a 39 front ring (19t out back as a SS) but a spread of 12-32 out back would give more than enough gears without the extreme high and low that are so little used anyway. Pic here of the SS, if you are going to use a road chainset just rmember there is only one make allowable! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:54 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

I'm building my Yeti with a 2x8. 34/48 front and 12-26 at the back. If i cant ride it in 34x26 I'm quicker running........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:51 pm 
Retro Guru

humm got me thinking this has, nice old ritchey logic chainsets are hard to come by and they don't make triples anymore, but the new road ones are cheaply available and (I think) looks nice :idea: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:55 pm 
Old School Grand Master

The Zaskar now runs a 2x8 set up, Middleburn Duo 29/44 at the front and an 11-28 at the back with a Dura Ace rear mech (Ti bolt upgraded).

I use a normal 8 speed STI shifter at the rear but a DX thumbshifter for the front, this allows me to trim the front mech to suit the chainline.

Whilst possibly not the aesthetes choice of shifters, the mix and match job works well. Running a thumby for the front also helps the mech to get over the larger range of a 29/44 as its easier to overshift and pull it back before you drop the chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:57 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

Could you be so kind as to explain the benefit of the 2X9 set up or even a 2X8.

Many thanks :D

Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:00 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

It weighs less and i never use the granny ring.

Ultimately i plan to run a 1x9 or even 1x10. Thinking a 10 speed cassette with a barend shifter in one of those tasty Pauls mounts would be nice setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:02 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Last night I took to the hacksaw and converted my commuter from 1*8 to 1*9, using far less worn out cassette/chain/shifter and swapping the m900 rear mech for a newer one.

The shifting action is delightfully smooth ... hmmm new cables :) . A few weeks worth of road grit and it might not be so good ....

Cassette is a 12-27 Dura Ace, shifter m950 XTR, chain SRAM and ring old skool Real 8-speed 46t.

Image Image

The chainline is an issue (especially when backpedalling, and cleaning the chain), ring clears the chainstay by about 8mm now, think I will go back to the old M900 cranks with which I could run the chainring in the middle ring position, and have absolut minimal chainstay clearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:22 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Isaac_AG wrote:
Could you be so kind as to explain the benefit of the 2X9 set up or even a 2X8.

Many thanks :D

Alison

Yeah, as Paul says, weight is a big reason to do it. You can lose a quarter of a pound off your bike by switching to a Middleburn Duo or the like.

Good for the legs aswell, the higher 'lowest' gear will force a great work out on you when you're climbing but its not as punishing as a singlespeed and you have the gears for a bit of speed on the downhill bits.