Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:25 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:32 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:29 pm
Posts: 389
got to uni this morning and found this, in a poor state, anyone got any tips on approaching an owner on buying a bike and what I should offer,


Attachments:
File comment: 1
220620070751.jpg
220620070751.jpg [ 73.51 KiB | Viewed 2108 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:29 pm 
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:44 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: norcal
faced with a similar situation myself.found a really nice bike locked up at a bus stop in the rain for a number of days.i wrote 2 notes with my name and work#, explaining that i would pay $ and replace the bike with a new one.covered it all in clear tape and stapled 1 to the frame, 1 to the bars.i had to do this about 4 times untill i finally got a call back.

best of luck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:50 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:50 pm
Posts: 2024
Location: Yorkshuh
Once saw a Fat Ti in the alps - tried to speak to the owner in my best (crap) French:
"Excuse-moi monsieur, est-ce-que votre velo a vendre?"
He looked at me like a fool, naturally, but getting the gist of what I was trying to say replied:
"Non, non, non! Ou-reviour!"
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
Perhaps the owner likes his bike? Perhaps its in a poor state because it gets used everyday and is a useful mode of transport for him? I think its rather poor form to assume that the current owner doesn't want/need/deserve the bike as much as you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:45 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:29 pm
Posts: 389
I think its rather poor form to assume that the current owner is male, do women no longer own bikes.

So all people who sell bikes don't want, deserve or need them? Perhaps they will prefer the money for a new bike. Don't know til you ask do you.


Last edited by amt27 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
:roll:

whatever


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:03 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 12:08 am
Posts: 107
Location: The United States of London
Russell wrote:
Perhaps the owner likes his bike?


Perhaps he does not, we simply don't know, no harm in asking.

Russell wrote:
Perhaps its in a poor state because it gets used everyday and is a useful mode of transport for him?


Maybe it is in a poor state because he doesn't much care for it and if it was replaced by any other cheap generic bike he would be just as happy.

Russell wrote:
I think its rather poor form to assume that the current owner doesn't want/need/deserve the bike as much as you.


Why is that 'poor form'

Why is this a moral question ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:44 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
amt27 wrote:
I think its rather poor form to assume that the current owner is male, do women no longer own bikes.


I do and despite the name Isaac_G I am a woman. :D
Russell wrote:
whatever


No!!!! Not whatever, I have a teenager and I hate this word, it's so dismissive and impolite :)

IMHO if a biker is interested in a bike then there is no harm done in asking, if nothing else the owner will be flattered that it is admired. If someone out of the blue asked to buy my bike I’d be flattered but then they won’t because until the Clockwork is done I’m riding A Marin Bolinas Ridge :oops: and you think you had problems :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
Right, first of all, my 'whatever 'comment was put up before amt edited the post to add the bit about women riding bikes and I'm not sure that picking holes in my choice of words was actually relevant in the first place but there you go. I assume that you don't use 'mankind' either?

Secondly, I don't care if you approach this rider or not, really doesn't bother me in the slightest, but what incenses me, and I believe that I'm entitled to an opinion? Is that some people see a dirty bike or a bike with a rusty chain and make the assumption that it is not being used properly so it deserves to be with them, I think that is impolite.

You know what an Aluminium 'O' is worth, get your cheque book out and offer them its market value. What you're asking the current owner to do is accept riding around on a less prestigious bike so that you can own a better one, whats that worth to you?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:14 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
Russell wrote:
Right, first of all, my 'whatever 'comment was put up before amt edited the post to add the bit about women riding bikes and I'm not sure that picking holes in my choice of words was actually relevant in the first place but there you go. I assume that you don't use 'mankind' either?

I can only apologise.

I'm a bit confused though "I assume that you don't use 'mankind' either?" I don't understand this comment. Is it about feminism, I'm not a feminist far from it. But perhaps too much OT I think.

I don't disagree entirely with your point though. I had a car that I never cleaned but I still enjoyed it. I was just too lazy to clean it, to many other things going on. I still appreciated it’s good point.

But before I insence further I’ll bid you all goodnight :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: boxxer, fj_mp, grarea and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group