Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:25 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:32 pm 
Retro Guru

got to uni this morning and found this, in a poor state, anyone got any tips on approaching an owner on buying a bike and what I should offer,

Attachments:
File comment: 1
220620070751.jpg
220620070751.jpg [ 73.51 KiB | Viewed 2108 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:29 pm 
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner

faced with a similar situation myself.found a really nice bike locked up at a bus stop in the rain for a number of days.i wrote 2 notes with my name and work#, explaining that i would pay $ and replace the bike with a new one.covered it all in clear tape and stapled 1 to the frame, 1 to the bars.i had to do this about 4 times untill i finally got a call back.

best of luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:50 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Once saw a Fat Ti in the alps - tried to speak to the owner in my best (crap) French:
"Excuse-moi monsieur, est-ce-que votre velo a vendre?"
He looked at me like a fool, naturally, but getting the gist of what I was trying to say replied:
"Non, non, non! Ou-reviour!"
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Perhaps the owner likes his bike? Perhaps its in a poor state because it gets used everyday and is a useful mode of transport for him? I think its rather poor form to assume that the current owner doesn't want/need/deserve the bike as much as you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:45 pm 
Retro Guru

I think its rather poor form to assume that the current owner is male, do women no longer own bikes.

So all people who sell bikes don't want, deserve or need them? Perhaps they will prefer the money for a new bike. Don't know til you ask do you.

Last edited by amt27 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master

:roll:

whatever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:03 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Russell wrote:
Perhaps the owner likes his bike?

Perhaps he does not, we simply don't know, no harm in asking.

Russell wrote:
Perhaps its in a poor state because it gets used everyday and is a useful mode of transport for him?

Maybe it is in a poor state because he doesn't much care for it and if it was replaced by any other cheap generic bike he would be just as happy.

Russell wrote:
I think its rather poor form to assume that the current owner doesn't want/need/deserve the bike as much as you.

Why is that 'poor form'

Why is this a moral question ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:44 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

amt27 wrote:
I think its rather poor form to assume that the current owner is male, do women no longer own bikes.

I do and despite the name Isaac_G I am a woman. :D
Russell wrote:
whatever

No!!!! Not whatever, I have a teenager and I hate this word, it's so dismissive and impolite :)

IMHO if a biker is interested in a bike then there is no harm done in asking, if nothing else the owner will be flattered that it is admired. If someone out of the blue asked to buy my bike I’d be flattered but then they won’t because until the Clockwork is done I’m riding A Marin Bolinas Ridge :oops: and you think you had problems :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Right, first of all, my 'whatever 'comment was put up before amt edited the post to add the bit about women riding bikes and I'm not sure that picking holes in my choice of words was actually relevant in the first place but there you go. I assume that you don't use 'mankind' either?

Secondly, I don't care if you approach this rider or not, really doesn't bother me in the slightest, but what incenses me, and I believe that I'm entitled to an opinion? Is that some people see a dirty bike or a bike with a rusty chain and make the assumption that it is not being used properly so it deserves to be with them, I think that is impolite.

You know what an Aluminium 'O' is worth, get your cheque book out and offer them its market value. What you're asking the current owner to do is accept riding around on a less prestigious bike so that you can own a better one, whats that worth to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:14 pm 

Russell wrote:
Right, first of all, my 'whatever 'comment was put up before amt edited the post to add the bit about women riding bikes and I'm not sure that picking holes in my choice of words was actually relevant in the first place but there you go. I assume that you don't use 'mankind' either?

I can only apologise.

I'm a bit confused though "I assume that you don't use 'mankind' either?" I don't understand this comment. Is it about feminism, I'm not a feminist far from it. But perhaps too much OT I think.

I don't disagree entirely with your point though. I had a car that I never cleaned but I still enjoyed it. I was just too lazy to clean it, to many other things going on. I still appreciated it’s good point.

But before I insence further I’ll bid you all goodnight :)