Sachs Quartz hubs.

XTR - The Quartz range was their range-topper, and supposedly quite good. If you come across a rear mech as well do let me know....

Sachs Quarz great stuff, but free hub/body is not so good, especially the earlier ones.

In general a very appealing groupset though

Agency_Scum":14sktciu said:
Would a Shimano freehub fit?

No

There have been several threads on the German classic forum covering Quarz freehub issues. Personally I had trouble with the one on my mint Verlicchi. Body itself developed a lot play and the wheel wouldn't rotate very well. I simply replaced the wheel by a similar wheel with XT hub I had laying around. The Sachs wheel I cleaned thoroughly with WD40 etc. It now seems pretty okay (play is still there, but the wheel does rotate properly), but I haven't tried in my bike so far.

Mine is the earlier generation. It has a kind of press fit attachment to the hub. Later ones were screwed.

Oops! Will a Shimano cassette fit? :shock:

Yes :)

Elev12k":2910803u said:
Sachs Quarz great stuff, but free hub/body is not so good, especially the earlier ones.

In general a very appealing groupset though

Yeah tell me about it. I had Quarz when it came out and the mechs/shifters were still running as new after 4 years of abuse until I cut down on my riding time (kids!) and still work fine now after 12 years. I had problems with the freehub though and ended up scrapping the hub after 18 months. Had the (seriously underrated) cantilevers too but someone nicked them!

But the original silver version was probably the most durable MTB rear mech ever made. Only thing wrong with it was the stupid size pulley bushings.

Latest posts

Back