Old frame, new parts.

rutteger

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Dyna-Tech Fan
Following a few threads on here and various other forums I've been mulling over the pros and cons of using a 'retro' frame with totally new school parts. What are peoples thoughts on this? Would like to see pictures of bikes built up in this style.

One fine example is the 'moonhead trimble'

moonhead_01.jpg

Late 1 1/8" Yo Eddy with Fox F80s, disks and XTR anybody ?

I did consider kokies 1 1/8 disk brake version yo eddy for a while. obviously mountain goat whiskey towns will soon be available in this mindset also.
depends on intended useage, 100 forks used on bikes intended for rigid probs aint a great idea... & bolt on disk brake mounts that were never intended for specific frames arent always a great idea either..
but hey, whatever turns you on ;)

I was all precious about my first Bonty and keeping it 'original' (well, ish - certainly not as much as some people on here). When I got a second one, though, I had no qualms at the concept of getting the head-tube lopped off for a 1 1/8" one, and putting disc mounts on it. Instead, I sold it to Agency Scum who promised to love it, but it changes your perception when you've got two of something.

scant":27x4gvm5 said:
depends on intended useage, 100 forks used on bikes intended for rigid probs aint a great idea... & bolt on disk brake mounts that were never intended for specific frames arent always a great idea either..
but hey, whatever turns you on ;)

Not suggesting you run a 100 mm fork on a '88 frame. However most frames built from the mid 90s on will comfortably fit an 80mm fork.
As for disks the 'bolt on' mounts are a sub-optimal solution. Set up a few bikes with hope torsion arms back in the day. I'd think most robust steel frames (maybe not a fat 10th) could have a disk mount (and possible seat to chainstay brace) welded on without any detriment.

those canti mount torsion arms arent great. curlys seen more than a few crack the actual canti stud away from the frame. in 1 severe case even crimping the seatstay!

FAT 10th has got such a bad rep for some reason? so lets set this straight! All Yo eddys built after the 10th used the same damn tubeset! difference is the stainless steel dropouts & ti headbadge...& obs lush paint job... tho FAT did loads of cool paint jobs ;)

scant":1v65th42 said:
FAT 10th has got such a bad rep for some reason? so lets set this straight! All Yo eddys built after the 10th used the same damn tubeset!

Fat 10th maybe wasn't the best example, I feel I probably would've got less of a response if I'd have brought the scant family name into disrepute ;) . I was more getting at the fact you probably wouldn't be wanting to butcher a 10th by sticking disk mounts on, nonetheless 10ths have this rep of being 'flimsy' (rightly or wrongly) because..
a)they are percieved as being a superlight steel frame
b)There is apparently (in the MBA article at least) a 180 lb weight limit. Which means I'd be ok to ride it most of the year except around christmas time
c)A good percentage of the 10th I've seen on ebay have rusted through.

Switching things round would you weld disk mounts on any steel frame? what about a 10th? If the latter Yos (you mean mass AND sarratoga built?) used the 10th tubeset did the late disk mount frames use a different tubest for the rear triangle?

Yepp. -91 MB-2 with Tange Switchblades with an Diesel 2.5 front tire, M-950 brakes and levers and finishing her off as an SS. Will be interesting to ride fe`sure...

I wouldnt adapt any frame that wasnt designed for it. That said FATs yo eddys should cope better than most due to the plain gauge stays. At the time of the 10th MBA test, FAT did advise a maxium weight penalty. After further testing FAT were happy to use the same tubeset for later Yos.

There are masses of rusted thru frames. 10ths are some of the few that still have some worth even when they're rusted through.. which is why you see on them on ebay... thats kinda like saying why dont you see rusted thru treks, konas, speskys (of which I bet there are thousands!) etc on ebay, coz not they're not 1 of 200 (182 actually) individually numbered anniversary frames that still have some worth ;)

The sealed tubes thing was a mistake many early frame builders made. I've personally seen more rust damaged yetis than 10th.

A big part of this, well for me! comes down to retro ethics! Anyone thinking of adding a disk mount to a 10th, needs to be shot. Which I guess is the real point of this thread! A standard yo eddy, yeh why not! But a 10th, get down, face mecca & start bowing :LOL:

so in summary, 10ths have wrongly got the flimsy rep ;)

Was riding with somebody who had added a disc mount to their Yo, and it seemed to be very well sorted indeed - although though I've still got old style cantis on my bikes (on the back) because that's what I prefer.

Personally I appreciate a modern mix of components on classical steel frames just as much as a fully museum retro style as it suggests to me the owner is likely to be pretty serious about getting out and riding the thing rather than just polishing / and or ebaying it!

Only 182 10ths? how come? have the other 12 already rusted away?
On the ethics front running a 10th with front sus would seem a bit wrong to me...

below quite modern FAT Chances (1 has a discs)
y4mfxu.jpg

Back