Where to get decent Retro tyres ?

jonboy

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All,

Firstly, this is a wicked website! I only found it a few days ago but it's already motivated me to dig out from the cellar my 1995 S Works FSR (which hasn't seen mud since 1996) and start to clean it up.

Anyway, the bike is cool, even the shock seems fine, BUT... I need some new tyres. Can you guys give me any advice on the best way to find / track down / purchase decent retro tyres ??

I popped into STIF this afternoon and all they had were black side wall 2.5" DH jobs. Not really the same as a pair of 1.95 Umma Gumma's / Onza's / Panracer jobs all, of course, with a nice tan side wall and Kevlar bead!

Can't remember the name of them but Onza did a pair of quality tyres - front a rear were different, probably about 94/95 ? Some of the best tyres I ever rode.

Anyway, All advice welcomed as you guys seem to really know your stuff !

Thanks, Jon

P.s. - All the bikes look totally wicked, and some are making me very jealous. Think I might need a project....

P.p.s - BITD it was my mum who'd shout at me for cleaning my bike in the kitchen sink, it seems my misses has just had exactly the same reaction!

jonboy":1ykfxu8i said:
P.s. - All the bikes look totally wicked, and some are making me very jealous. Think I might need a project....

We all need a project :D

For tyres re-issued porcupines are available on ebay at a reasonable price.

I'll soon be posting a bunch of tyres for sale. I have one Yeti FRO, and a whole bunch of Mitsuboshi tyres from 1995, given to me by an old mate Paul Chetwynd in Japan (Paul raced in Japan extensively and advised Mitsuboshi on tyre design- he was featured in April's MBUK mag). He wandered up to me at one of the Japan series races in '95 and gave me an armful of tyres! Most of them have been in storage since- they were used for one day's XC /DH practice then he passed them on.
Watch this space.....

Onza Rip n Rail? We have one pair in stock and I have a pair (not boxed) at home if you are after those.

What else you got in stock Mate?
How about a new Smoke Lite? Or maybe some red Ritchey Kool Stop pads?
How about a 100mm Machine Tech Oval Ahead Stem in say black or silver?

Sorry, I took the last pair of Smoke/Dart. I listed some other oddments on the shop watch but nothing that you mention there.

Back